Getting back to training after a cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Folks

After getting a cold I have now got a upper respiratory infection, the docs has just told me that it could take 6 weeks to get over.

I guess I can't train during this time, any suggestions on getting over it ASAP!!

...I guess the only good news is that its snow outside

Ta

Brian

Slick

Guru
Learn to relax and give your body a chance, would be my only advice. I tried to get back on it far too early and paid the price.

User269

A 'cold' is an upper respiratory tract infection.
Keep warm, plenty of fluids & rest.
Once your sore throat, runny nose & general aches have gone, go for it!

Um, can you give your doctor a call? It sounds like she didn't say not to exercise, you just inferred it. If it doesn't involve your lungs, there might be no harm in training. I certainly wouldn't let the lingering remains of cold stop me, unless it settled on my lungs. And then I'd see a doctor if ventolin didn't relieve it.

Edit: no, I would let it stop me. Six weeks rest after a cold wouldn't go away is one of the reasons I didn't finish LEL.

Last edited:
Yup it's down into my chest not just my head...

I would like to think it's just a cold, but it isn't
Ah. That's not upper respiratory tract then.

Yup, take it easy. That doesn't necessarily mean off the bike all together, if you feel well enough for a brisk walk, then you can do the same perceived exertion on the bike.

But as you have seen the gp, you should check. Mine is happy to return a call at the end of surgery, to save a visit.

Oh, and never take medical advice from strangers on the internet :okay:

(I really know how miserable this is. I suffered from chronic bronchitis as a child. Well, it was actually asthma as it turns out, but the symptoms are the same)

Raw Garlic.

and/or a ginger and oranges in a blender to make a nice smoothie....before you ride....

Wear a buff over your nose and mouth

I'm quite prone to picking up chest infections after a cold (upper respiratory tract infection) - and will take antibiotics for them if doctor suggests it would be wise. You do need to be clear on which you have; an upper respiratory tract infection will most people a blocked up nose, sore throat and dry cough and should not be treated with antibiotics. A chest infection generally gives a phlegmy (productive) cough and a raised body temperature (and does respond to antibiotics).

The received wisdom is to not train with a chest infection (below the neck symptoms), but you're fine to train with 'above the neck symptoms' (upper respiratory tract infection).

My problem with this advice is that my productive cough tends to extend way beyond (multiple weeks) the actual infection clearing (the fever/night sweats disappear)
- which I think is down to my asthma mimicking the symptoms. Which has led me to try and identify the original source (academic / medical journal papers) for the received wisdom and I couldn't...

Either way because I use a bicycle as transport, following a chest infection, I simply take it steady once I feel up to leaving the house and make sure my cycling exertion doesn't go above a brisk walk level of exertion. And then get back to completely normal training levels once I am back to only having an asthmatic type cough as a symptom.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I too used to be prone to this sort of illness. A client with asthma recommended I take the flu jab to help stop the infection travelling down into the lungs. Second year I’ve done this and apart from a couple of minor colds I’ve been well.

Good advice. Started having the flu jab a few years ago as I was the primary career for my mother. Only very minor cold symptoms since lasting no more than a couple of days.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hi Folks

After getting a cold I have now got a upper respiratory infection, the docs has just told me that it could take 6 weeks to get over.

I guess I can't train during this time, any suggestions on getting over it ASAP!!

...I guess the only good news is that its snow outside

Ta

Brian

I’m not sure what this infection means so the following may not be relevant. I’ve two friends who tried to ride through and/or came back too early after “chest infections.” Eighteen months later both are still struggling with fitness. One simply can’t climb anymore.

I’m not trying to worry you. The point is simply make sure you take proper medical advice. With the best of intentions nothing you read here is necessarily relevant to you - including this post.

Top Bottom