Getting First Bike And Where From

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShaneWBA

I posted a few months ago about getting my first bike, however didn't get it at the time for a few different reasons

I did post about the Boardman MTX 8.6 Hybrid from Halfords and that is the one I am debating purchasing

However I was wondering if anyone has used Leisure Lakes Bikes and would have any to recommend from their website my budget is no more than £500
I only recently discovered their store near me and have never hear dof them before

I'm looking at Halfords or Leisure Lakes Bikes to purchase from due to the close distance to my house

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't know anything about Leisure Lakes but the Trek FX 2 looks like a good bet if you want to stay away from the dreaded suspension fork. Also came out as a top choice on another thread. Hydraulic discs too.
The only thing to be aware is the OE tyres are likely to have poor puncture resistance but at 35c will be reasonably quick on the road.

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Don't know anything about Leisure Lakes but the Trek FX 2 looks like a good bet if you want to stay away from the dreaded suspension fork. Also came out as a top choice on another thread. Hydraulic discs too.
The only thing to be aware is the OE tyres are likely to have poor puncture resistance but at 35c will be reasonably quick on the road.
How does the Boardman compare to the Trek? I get C2W with Evans Cycles however Trek bikes for some reason are unavailable for collection or delivery and my nearest Evans is closed as well. The Boardman I can collect from a 2 mins walk away within a couple of days

Hi there. I have used LLB before and didn't have any issues. I got a Specialized Sirrus and really liked it. Good luck with a purchase!

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Narrowed it down to the Boardman MTX 8.6 from Halfords or the Trek FX 2 Disc

Out of curiosity why are suspension bikes so “disliked” if thats the word to use? Is it just due to the extra weight? I always thought suspension bikes would be preferred where possible over the non suspension variants

vickster

Legendary Member
Narrowed it down to the Boardman MTX 8.6 from Halfords or the Trek FX 2 Disc

Out of curiosity why are suspension bikes so “disliked” if thats the word to use? Is it just due to the extra weight? I always thought suspension bikes would be preferred where possible over the non suspension variants
Heavy (esp budget ones) and bouncy on roads /paths/canals even locked out. And one more unnecessary thing to maintain / break ultimately.
However, if you like suspension, go for it

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Heavy (esp budget ones) and bouncy on roads /paths/canals even locked out. And one more unnecessary thing to maintain / break ultimately.
However, if you like suspension, go for it
I think I like suspension :laugh: its been that long though In all honesty. As you say being bouncy my line of thinking would be it’s a good thing if you hit anything, pothole, a stone or small brick there will be some give with suspension And cause less damage to the bike and less discomfort on your hands/wrists? Thats just how I think of it but maybe I’m thinking the wrong way?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Those budget suspension fork are basically a tube with a spring in it so very little damping, you're going to have to go up in price to get some that actually provide real damping.
You won't feel the extra weight much on the flat but you will on the hills. If you can give one a try.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

I went to Leisure Lakes Bikes, they had a limited range but pointed out the Trek Dual Sport 2, advised I could get online whcih I actually cant (in the black colour)

So paid a £50 refundable deposit to collect it next Saturday just to kind of secure it in store as the last they had in my size, and now I can have a think
Got a couple of questions, first how does the Dual Sport 2 compare to the Trek FX 2 other than suspension or is that the only difference?

Also I can get the same bike from Evans Cycles, for the same price but with C2W benefit, is it better to go for that option? And also does anyone know if you have to go in store for the C2W scheme or can it be done online?

vickster

Legendary Member
I went to Leisure Lakes Bikes, they had a limited range but pointed out the Trek Dual Sport 2, advised I could get online whcih I actually cant (in the black colour)

So paid a £50 refundable deposit to collect it next Saturday just to kind of secure it in store as the last they had in my size, and now I can have a think
Got a couple of questions, first how does the Dual Sport 2 compare to the Trek FX 2 other than suspension or is that the only difference?

Also I can get the same bike from Evans Cycles, for the same price but with C2W benefit, is it better to go for that option? And also does anyone know if you have to go in store for the C2W scheme or can it be done online?
Phone Evans customer service on Monday and ask. However, I don’t think they’ll post a Trek, collection only

vickster

Legendary Member
I noticed that a few days ago, but now there website says “Trek now available for home delivery”
Cool, contact them to order 👍
from website

Following the recent directive and the situation involving Covid-19 our phone lines are currently closed. We are available to assist you via LiveChat or Email from 9am – 6pm Monday to Friday and 9-5pm on Sat/Sun. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding as we work to remain servicing you during this difficult time while considering the safety of our employees.

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Tbf I tried live chat from 9am till 11am today and couldn’t speak to anyone lol

Do you happen to know if C2W can be done online?

Top Bottom