Getting First Bike And Where From

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

The Trek I wanted is now out of stock on Evans typically lol

The only reason I would buy from Evans is due to C2W why would that be a better option against buying the bike outright?

Might seem silly but the scheme kind of confuses me as to how paying this way works out cheaper if that’s correct?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The C2W can work out cheaper, but the shop will not give you a cash discount on a C2W bike, so the original invoice price is higher.

It often works out pretty much as good to buy the bike for a cash discount, assuming you have the money and are not paying interest to get it.

Another option is an interest free period introduction credit card which at one time was easy enough for anyone to obtain with a decent credit rating.

A note of caution there because the money lending goal posts have shifted due to the virus.

If I read your thread correctly, there is a Trek in stock at a reputable bike shop near you.

Many buyers would love to have that - there's a lot to be said for buying locally because if the shop's any good they will assist you with any problems with the bike as well as point you in the right direction for tried and trusted routes and the local cycling scene - if that's your bag.

I've known my local bike shop on and off for 25 years, and while they are not exactly friends, they have helped my cycling and other things in lots of ways which I wouldn't get if I had no relationship with any shop.

For example, the owner heard correctly I've been poorly recently, so he pinged me an email to offer help with any of the bikes and also to say he would get some shopping in if I needed it.

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

The C2W can work out cheaper, but the shop will not give you a cash discount on a C2W bike, so the original invoice price is higher.

It often works out pretty much as good to buy the bike for a cash discount, assuming you have the money and are not paying interest to get it.

Another option is an interest free period introduction credit card which at one time was easy enough for anyone to obtain with a decent credit rating.

A note of caution there because the money lending goal posts have shifted due to the virus.

If I read your thread correctly, there is a Trek in stock at a reputable bike shop near you.

Many buyers would love to have that - there's a lot to be said for buying locally because if the shop's any good they will assist you with any problems with the bike as well as point you in the right direction for tried and trusted routes and the local cycling scene - if that's your bag.

I've known my local bike shop on and off for 25 years, and while they are not exactly friends, they have helped my cycling and other things in lots of ways which I wouldn't get if I had no relationship with any shop.

For example, the owner heard correctly I've been poorly recently, so he pinged me an email to offer help with any of the bikes and also to say he would get some shopping in if I needed it.
Thanks for that, the thing that concerns me with C2W is it “sounds” great but I was thinking is it one of those deals thats made out to be better than what it is

My nearest Evans cycle which my C2W is from is Birmingham so about 20 mins drive or 30 mins via train, getting to station etc

Leisure Lakes Bikes is about 10 mins drive, the only thing was I’d never heard of them before so wanted to see if anyone had previous dealings. They seemed ok when I went on Friday, kind of made the best of a bad situation due to the current pandemic and not being able to try certain things etc

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for that, the thing that concerns me with C2W is it “sounds” great but I was thinking is it one of those deals thats made out to be better than what it is

My nearest Evans cycle which my C2W is from is Birmingham so about 20 mins drive or 30 mins via train, getting to station etc

Leisure Lakes Bikes is about 10 mins drive, the only thing was I’d never heard of them before so wanted to see if anyone had previous dealings. They seemed ok when I went on Friday, kind of made the best of a bad situation due to the current pandemic and not being able to try certain things etc
Basically you save money on C2W because the payments come from your salary before tax and NI whereas if you pay cash that has been taxed so from a smaller pot

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Well I’m due to collect my Trek Dual Sport 2 on Saturday, not changed my mind yet and not seen anything Else thats caught my eye or taken my fanay, all being well next post will be ok images of the bike once I’ve collected it!

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

20D1756A-DE85-4A1B-99C6-BC6AFE5921AD.jpeg

All collected

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I know it's a bit late now as you already have the bike, but I bought my turbo trainer from them last year as they were offering the best deal, when it went 'pop' earlier this year they handled the warranty claim very well & I was happy with their service, so fingers crossed you'll have nothing to worry about & any problems you may have I'm sure they'll deal with them well :okay:

edit: PS enjoy the bike 👍

Midsrider

Hi ShaneWBA , saw you bought the Trek DS2 in the end, nice one ! I am actually looking at that one too - just praying I get the furlough payment from the government first as my bike money might have to go on house hold bills first and bike will have t wait a long long time.

I am after the DS2 or the FX2. I do favour the DS2 as I will be riding on some small trails etc....but I keep getting told by the good cyclists here that do do away with the forks and stick with the FX range.

How are you finding the DS2 and how are the forks performing?

I am also Midlands based, Redditch. The Redditch bike store don't stock the DS2 or the FX2....but a store in Solihull do, but I did favour the Redditch store as its local. And its looking as if no more DS2 of FX2 are in stock, as when i spoke to them online they said a new model/colours are coming out.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Hi ShaneWBA , saw you bought the Trek DS2 in the end, nice one ! I am actually looking at that one too - just praying I get the furlough payment from the government first as my bike money might have to go on house hold bills first and bike will have t wait a long long time.

I am after the DS2 or the FX2. I do favour the DS2 as I will be riding on some small trails etc....but I keep getting told by the good cyclists here that do do away with the forks and stick with the FX range.

How are you finding the DS2 and how are the forks performing?

I am also Midlands based, Redditch. The Redditch bike store don't stock the DS2 or the FX2....but a store in Solihull do, but I did favour the Redditch store as its local. And its looking as if no more DS2 of FX2 are in stock, as when i spoke to them online they said a new model/colours are coming out.

Enjoy!
Hi mate, I’ve not had chance to get out on it properly due to working lates and nights this week, but hoping to go for a ride tomorrow

I went for the DS2 in the end as I wanted a lock off suspension, so suspension for any bumpy trials I may decide to go on but lock out for smooth tarmac areas

Everyone told me not to get suspension but eventually it’s what you want and for me I saw the lock out as best of both worlds, its not that heavy either

Leisure Lakes Bikes do the red DS2 online and the blue FX2 if you would prefer home delivery

Midsrider

Brilliant, I’ll have a look now.
i did message both my local shop and red kite is Solihull and they all read it but no one got back to me....so I’ll try somewhere else.

im 5ft 9 and stuck between sizes....one store told me medium, one large! I think I’ll go large as don’t like to feel hunched up at the wheel.

vickster

Legendary Member
i did message both my local shop and red kite is Solihull and they all read it but no one got back to me....so I’ll try somewhere else.

im 5ft 9 and stuck between sizes....one store told me medium, one large! I think I’ll go large as don’t like to feel hunched up at the wheel.
Phone them if open 👍 (if not open would explain lack of response)

Midsrider

Phone them if open 👍 (if not open would explain lack of response)
Hi ya,

Yeah - I will do tomorrow. I did message them and they did read all messages, as it shows up as read. They are all open now, but on limited time scale, but ive heard they have all been really busy due to the influx of bike sales and repairs due to people cycling during the lock down.

Ill try them tomorrow.

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Well did my first ride today so thought I’d update you

Was so glad I had the DS2 personally as the canal was a lot rougher and more bumpy than I had anticipated, so being able to lock the suspension on was a great bonus, I did forget to lock it off when on the smooth areas but wasnt a huge deal

Re the size, Trek website points me towards a Large and thats what the store advised me on as well, I do think it might be slightly too big, but rather have it a little too big than a little too small

Only real issue I had was during my ride my wrists were killing me, not sure if its just going to be getting used to it, or that my seat is too high so I had a lot of pressure on my wrists than I should have

Other than that fantastic bike

vickster

Legendary Member
Well did my first ride today so thought I’d update you

Was so glad I had the DS2 personally as the canal was a lot rougher and more bumpy than I had anticipated, so being able to lock the suspension on was a great bonus, I did forget to lock it off when on the smooth areas but wasnt a huge deal

Re the size, Trek website points me towards a Large and thats what the store advised me on as well, I do think it might be slightly too big, but rather have it a little too big than a little too small

Only real issue I had was during my ride my wrists were killing me, not sure if its just going to be getting used to it, or that my seat is too high so I had a lot of pressure on my wrists than I should have

Other than that fantastic bike
Does it have ergo grips where you can rest your palms or round grips? If the latter, look to change to former :okay:

Maybe you’re putting too much weight through your hands, perhaps because it’s a bit big. Can you shift the saddle forward on the rails?
Also don’t grip too tight

OP
OP
S

ShaneWBA

Does it have ergo grips where you can rest your palms or round grips? If the latter, look to change to former :okay:

Maybe you’re putting too much weight through your hands, perhaps because it’s a bit big. Can you shift the saddle forward on the rails?
Also don’t grip too tight
Cheers for the advice, I believe it just got normal round grips. Not sure if the saddle and move forward, will look into it when I get home

Top Bottom