Getting Fitter & Aching Less

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Still loving cycling and now completed 11 rides with the longest being Xmas Day when I completed 15-mile. May not seem a lot but for a mid-fifties newbie it is I can assure you. Boxing day saw me go out with the intention of doing 20-mile, but only completed 10. The route I planned looked to be a lot of downhill, but the reality is that it was the reverse and I discovered a climb that seemed to never end. I was nearing the end of the village of Halmerend when I decided to turn back. The return was exhilerating as I reached speeds of 30mph getting back down the 'mountain'. Obviously a good day for cyclists as I was passed by around a dozen, and there was me thinking I was going well, and all these lycra clad folk were leaving me for dead.

When I got home I found I had averaged 11.1 mph which I thought was good as half the ride was done at 5 mph climbing. My overall average is still only 11.5 mph, so wonder what these people who keep passing me must be averaging, because I lose sight of them in a few minutes.

By the way the route I took turned out to be the highest point in Cheshire up to Alsagers Bank, so not making that mistake again.

Congratulations , just think what you will be able to achieve in another couple of months.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Riding in winter is far harder than riding in the warmer months. The cold and wind, plus all the gear you have to put on to ride, all makes it more cumbersome.

My advice is not to push yourself too hard during the winter. Little and often seems to be a good addage for winter riding.

Steve

Biker Joe

Über Member
Well done. You are progressing very well.:thumbsup:
You will probably find that the cyclists passing you are young, skinny types full of the vigorousness of youth and with loads of cycling time behind them.
I get that a lot these days. They come flying past with a cry of "Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii"............. fading off into the distance.:hello: Leaving me to ponder on the days of my youth when I was doing the same.:whistle:

nappadang

Über Member
Still loving cycling and now completed 11 rides with the longest being Xmas Day when I completed 15-mile. May not seem a lot but for a mid-fifties newbie it is I can assure you. Boxing day saw me go out with the intention of doing 20-mile, but only completed 10. The route I planned looked to be a lot of downhill, but the reality is that it was the reverse and I discovered a climb that seemed to never end. I was nearing the end of the village of Halmerend when I decided to turn back. The return was exhilerating as I reached speeds of 30mph getting back down the 'mountain'. Obviously a good day for cyclists as I was passed by around a dozen, and there was me thinking I was going well, and all these lycra clad folk were leaving me for dead.

When I got home I found I had averaged 11.1 mph which I thought was good as half the ride was done at 5 mph climbing. My overall average is still only 11.5 mph, so wonder what these people who keep passing me must be averaging, because I lose sight of them in a few minutes.

By the way the route I took turned out to be the highest point in Cheshire up to Alsagers Bank, so not making that mistake again.
Mate, you're doing brilliantly! Keep it up and remember, that "mountain" will get increasingly easier with time.
All the best for the new year.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Keep t up , your doing more than me atm !

Congrats - tis a bugger that route up Alsager's Bank and Halmerend, know it rather well. Its the most obvious path over to my Grandfather's home when I cycle over that way and I hate that climb. Tis easier from the N/C side because the gradient is kinder, but my approach is horrible. If you want an easier climb up it, try it from Silverdale, turning off and going up through Scot Hay - that is a much easier climb up and over it!
Where in Cheshire are you (roughly) setting out from - I may be able to help out on some routes. I grew up in N/C for some of my years and parent's are now over in Alsager, having 'done' all of N/C, S-O-T, Keele, Madeley Heath and so on... so I know the area pretty well and can always recommend some longer flatter routes if you so desire.

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Keep going, Doc.
I'm slightly older than you.
The lycra mob leave me well behind as well, my average speeds tends to be between 10 and 11.5 mph (quick water breaks every 5 mls).
I enjoy my runs and as for distance, it comes naturally.
I tend to pick two or three short (Strava) segments to push myself harder.
You will soon wonder why you haven't travelled as far before.
I have only been back cycling since March and being 18 st I don't do hills very well but hey, I get there.

videoman

Guru
I'm approaching mid fifties as well and know the hill well as I used to live just over the top of it from the direction you were coming from. Perhaps we could meet up sometime as I now live in Lightwood but have an ind. unit on Parkhouse Ind Estate at Chesterton. Alsagers bank is also a fair climb especially if you managed to cycle to the top.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just remember to also have rest days, or easy days, 15 miles for a new rider is very good, don't push yourself too hard.

Alan...

OP
OP
Doc333

Doc333

Knight Of The Realm & All Around Good Guy
Congrats - tis a bugger that route up Alsager's Bank and Halmerend, know it rather well. Its the most obvious path over to my Grandfather's home when I cycle over that way and I hate that climb. Tis easier from the N/C side because the gradient is kinder, but my approach is horrible. If you want an easier climb up it, try it from Silverdale, turning off and going up through Scot Hay - that is a much easier climb up and over it!
Where in Cheshire are you (roughly) setting out from - I may be able to help out on some routes. I grew up in N/C for some of my years and parent's are now over in Alsager, having 'done' all of N/C, S-O-T, Keele, Madeley Heath and so on... so I know the area pretty well and can always recommend some longer flatter routes if you so desire.

I'm from the Wychwood side of Crewe so suspect the route would be through Betley and Keele and then do a left somewhere to go up Scot Hay.. When I first looked at the route I thought it would be all downhill going home, but wow that was some climb which I didn't complete as I turned back when I got near the end of Halmerend. Reversing the route seems to be a gradual non-stop climb with not much respite. I think I'll try for something flatter for now thanks. many thanks for all the kind words of encouragement.

Top Bottom