Getting Fitter & Aching Less

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Keep plugging away and enjoying what you're doing. When the warmer month cyclists break out their bikes in April or so, you'll get a nice ego boost as this poor weather riding and conditioning you're doing now will really show on the roads and climbs.

young Ed

Veteran
Ache less = stretch more after cycling

Keep at it :smile:

I will back you up on this one! (something i actually know about :biggrin: :wahhey::hyper:)

During exercise yours muscles tighten up and contract then stretching after exercise brings them back to there original length you may not feel anything that day but you generally wake up the next morning and your legs ache and feel awful i had it recently due to thinking i could skip the stretches lasted several days after wards only just gone!
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Good one!

Aching legs- stretching is the way forward, but as well as that invest in a foam roller. I have one called "the grid" made by some company or other, you can get cheaper, but they work well.

nuttall1991

Best ways to avoid achy legs the day after (or DOMS) is to make sure you eat properly, your body wont rebuild itself if it has nothing to build with. Replace lost liquids, again necessary to rebuild. Stretching, like people have said before in this thread, will help to delay the onset of DOMS but it's important this stretching is LIGHT, you aren't getting ready for a century, you're trying to recover so don't put excess strain on your muscles and be sure the stretching your doing is relevant, professional athletes and trainers tend to favour active/dynamic stretching like bum flicks and lunges where you are moving and stretching at the same time. Another way to wake up feeling less achy is to have an ice bath or failing that a very cold shower. This helps to flush the lactic acid out of your muscles to be removed and so the body can start repairing sooner.

Hope this helps!

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Still loving cycling and now completed 11 rides with the l

By the way the route I took turned out to be the highest point in Cheshire up to Alsagers Bank, so not making that mistake again.

my bold.

My first time trial was up Alsagers Bank;onna tandem:rolleyes:

alans

black belt lounge lizard
"Small World" SYNDROME ALERT:
I too can relate to Alsagers Bank having lived in Newcastle & worked there & in Pork Tits Talke Pits, Knutton,Burslem &Longport with ex-clients on the Parkhouse Ind. Estate,in Silverdale,in Keele & many other locations within a large radius of N-u-L..
Two ex-colleagues live in Betley.

just sayin'

Staffordshire Mamil

Über Member
Holy thread revival Batman!!
Small world syndrome indeed. I live in Chesterton and I often tackle the North face of Halmerend Bank :-) The sight of the Gresley Arms at the top is very welcome and the following decent down to Silverdale can be a bit hairy if you hit a cross wind.
I wonder if Doc 333 has persevered and is now flying up...................

videoman

Guru
Whereabouts in Chesterton do you live. Used to live at Waterhays.

D

Deleted member 26715

I seem to going backwards, getting no fitter & aching more when I get off.

Alan...

cuberider

Über Member
I worked on Parkhouse for a while and then on Lymedale a few years later. I spent 20 years working in Burslem as well.

Those were the days.

Back to stretching - I recently decided I should extend my stretches to ten seconds each, but I wasn't sure so I checked on a few websites. And they all said I should be holding each stretch for thirty seconds!!! Anyone else do this or agree?

Top Bottom