Getting FLASHED by women!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

khumbu8000

Sorry folks,
no I haven't been flashed 'bush and boobs' but by several drivers.

My commute 1 hr each way is a fantastic, hilly, wide (most of the route) country road. It is also very open- cars can be seen 1/2 mile in advance or at least their headlights can.

I have a Lumicycle HID light which has quite frankle saved my life over the past 2 yrs. Speeding cars frequentlyslow down and dip their lights up to 800mtrs away. They often pull in at villages to let me through. About 1 in 10 flash me as i go past, despite me having my lights dipped slightly. If I dipped them anymore then I would not be able to cycle very fast on the fast bits (defeats the object really)....

After flicking the Vs at a 4x4 that deliberately flashed me as I was approaching I suddenlyu realised that I might be over-reacting and that these people could be the same bunch who pass me ina ll weathers wishing me luck??? (optimistic I know).

By having such bright lights am I really being a menace or should these fat, never-been-cycling 4x4 drivers just put up with the kind of glare that all cyclist experience from 4x4s anyway???

Ed

PS yes most of the flashers are women. Not that significant though...

bonj2

I sometimes get pipped when i've got my ayup helmet light on

but don't give them the V/finger. Although it's probably not, the flash might just be intended as friendly.

khumbu8000 said:
By having such bright lights am I really being a menace or should these fat, never-been-cycling 4x4 drivers just put up with the kind of glare that all cyclist experience from 4x4s anyway???

Not all 4x4 drivers are Fat Non Cyclist the same as not all Cyclist are lycra clad Eco Warriors ... Go to any mountain bike trail centre and see how many 4x4's are parked in the car park with bike racks on ?

Playing games on the road with 4x4's is a very dangerous Game ... one day you'l probably get a Fat Non Cyclist that thinks its funny to prove a point

And on a Bicycle ... You'l Lose

Simon

snorri

Legendary Member
khumbu8000 said:
About 1 in 10 flash me as i go past, despite me having my lights dipped slightly. If I dipped them anymore then I would not be able to cycle very fast on the fast bits (defeats the object really)....

If 1 in 10 vehicles were flashing me, I would realise something was wrong and get my lights adjusted promptly. Do you like it when oncoming traffic dazzles you?
The "object" is not to cycle "very fast". When you are sharing public roads you should be cycling with consideration for other road users.

bonj2

mikeitup said:
with my bar mounted ayup a encounter dipping quite frequently. I got pipped t'other night too.

i ALWAYS get vehicles dip their beams..? don't you? even with only my BLT firewire...

Tynan

Veteran
as early posters said, it's simply not funny to have bright lights shining into other road users eyes, bike lights are more than bright enough these days to dazzle and even hurt people's eyes

Maz

Guru
Tynan said:
as early posters said, it's simply not funny to have bright lights shining into other road users eyes, bike lights are more than bright enough these days to dazzle and even hurt people's eyes
How else is the OP meant to find out if it was a male or female driver that flashed him?

jmaccyd

I have been flashed and tooted several times while out riding by female driver's. Always (foolishly) assumed they where someone I knew until one shouted through their window one day 'nice a**e' as she overtook me on a climb :biggrin::blush:. Perhaps, another reason to sell cycling to the motoring masses?

Top Bottom