Getting home with a flat tubular, fixed using a clincher inner tube?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi

I'm sure I've read somewhere you can get home with a flat tubular tyre using a clincher innner tube, maybe I dreamed it?

I know about Pitt Stop, though a innertube would be ideal for a crawl home fix

Anyone know if this would work?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I cant even think how it would work . What would you do with the valves ?
I think you can crawl home on a flat tub anyway but ive never had to try it .

davidphilips

Veteran
could be wrong but only way i can see is to use a repair gel,hopefully someone will have a better way.

Attachments

• Desert.jpg
    Desert.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 56

Sharky

Guru
A long time ago, when I used tubs, I would always carry at least one spare tub with me and if on a group ride, we would all have spare tubs, so getting home would not be a problem. But I do remember once when out on my own, getting through my spares and ended up riding the last 10 miles with the rear tub completely flat. Put all my weight over the front wheel and rode very slowly. The tub didn't survive, but the rim was ok.

Not getting confused with tubeless are you, which is a completely different thing.

^This I reckon.

Use sensible tyres and tubes that you can easily repair at the roadside without a support car?

Take it you've never ridden tubulars then?;) Put it this way quite a bit nicer than running on Marathon pluses:whistle::bicycle:

Carry some Tufo extreme sealant in a small bottle and a spare tub;would have to be pretty unuicky to have more than two punctures on a normal ride,most I've ever had is two and that was on some god foresaken rough fen droves and one of those was a pinched tube which wouldn't happen on a tub or tubeless.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Being someone who has only ever ridden with ordinary tyres - tubulars are the racing ones you have to glue on to your (special tubular usage) rims, and unstitch to get to the inner tube aren't they? All I know about them is a half forgotten section in Richard Ballantyne's book.

If you get a puncture in a tubular on the road do you have to glue a new one on? Isn't that a bit of a faff?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you get a puncture in a tubular on the road do you have to glue a new one on? Isn't that a bit of a faff?
No, the cement on the rim will have enough adhesion to hold the spare tub in place, particularly as the spare will also have a coating of adhesive on it. All those of us who raced on tubulars will have finished at least one event (Only one? Hah!) with the spare in place of one of the originals.

And as said by others the OP will have been referring to tubeless clinchers rather than tubulars, and yes those can be repaired by sticking a tube in.

Top Bottom