Getting in to racing?

Stevee

New Member
Location
Burton-on-Trent
Hi,

This may be in the wrong section but the racing section seemed more about professional cycling.

I'm 18 years old and am interested in getting into racing but I have no idea how to go about this.

I am going with my local club this sunday (hopefully) and maybe try some local time trials if I feel up to it; other than this i don't know how to go about getting into racing, at any level.

Any advice appreciated :sad:

Stevie
 

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Location
Watford
Stevee said:
Hi,


I am going with my local club this sunday (hopefully) and maybe try some local time trials if I feel up to it; other than this i don't know how to go about getting into racing, at any level.


What you are already planning to do is likely to be the best way to go about it, join a local club- you'll find out about races in the area and you'll be able to get advice from others in the club.
 

Crankarm

Guru
Location
Nr Cambridge
Joining a club is the best way. If you are any good, try and go out with the fast group chain gangs, but get some miles into your legs first and a more experienced rider(s) to look out for you take you under the wings so to speak. Primarily though you'll have too let your legs do the talking.

Take it easy. Enjoy the pain ;).
 
OP
OP
S

Stevee

New Member
Location
Burton-on-Trent
Thanks guys, I will go with my local club and see if I can stay with them for the full ride!

Just out of interest what is the lowest level of road racing there is? Where do you start?
 

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Location
Manchester
Most people start out doing time trials. You local club 10 is probly the lowest level. Even though there will be some fast riders, they are open to anyone. Plus your against a clock so you don't need to worry about getting dropped and the race being over for you.
 

Crankarm

Guru
Location
Nr Cambridge
Stevee said:
Thanks guys, I will go with my local club and see if I can stay with them for the full ride!

Just out of interest what is the lowest level of road racing there is? Where do you start?

Sportives ........... although they are not supposed to be races :biggrin:. Your club will know what is on in the local area. Choose a club that is active in the racing scene though. Some aren't, they're just content to do plod along social rides, which isn't a problem if you want that sort of thing, just a bummer if you want to get into racing. British Cycling (BC) will have a list of affiliated clubs in your area if you can't find any. Good luck.
 

Crankarm

Guru
Location
Nr Cambridge
Rob3rt said:
Most people start out doing time trials. You local club 10 is probly the lowest level. Even though there will be some fast riders, they are open to anyone. Plus your against a clock so you don't need to worry about getting dropped and the race being over for you.

Good idea. I'd over looked TTing with your club :biggrin:.
 

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Location
Watford
The British cycling site has some information on getting started in road racing here, more stuff on the bar on the left hand side

Another option you might not have considered is cyclocross. Relatively easy to get started (although you might need another bike), you can learn the basic technical skills on any old patch of grass and it usually hurts less when you fall off.
 

lukesdad

Guest
Cat 4 is the lower level of racing. TT s are fine but they wont teach you the finer points of group riding. If you are going to try road racing or Criteriums look for Cat 3/4 specific stuff rather than Cat 1/2/3/4.
 
OP
OP
S

Stevee

New Member
Location
Burton-on-Trent
Cat 4 is the lower level of racing. TT s are fine but they wont teach you the finer points of group riding. If you are going to try road racing or Criteriums look for Cat 3/4 specific stuff rather than Cat 1/2/3/4.

I had a look on British cycling and saw some of the Cat 4 races coming up fairly near to me so I might go and have a look when i can.
I looked at the results of previous ones but there's no times, would be nice to have a rough idea how fast people are; any idea how i could find out?

Thanks :smile:
 
Top Bottom