Getting into the swing of it....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you plan to continue cycling you need to learn how to adjust the bike yourself. A bike is not like a car, which needs new fluids and filters every few thousand miles but nowadays, no adjustment. A bike is a delicate assembly of components that need occasional adjustment so to have a service and expect perfect long-term performance is asking too much; you need to be constantly tweaking it to get the best from it.
Depends on the bike. Some you just need to keep oiled and check the tyre pressures occasionally, plus notice if anything starts behaving oddly because it might indicate a cable needing replacement. Then an annual service regreasing bearings and so on and job's a good 'un.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well at least a good weekly "coat of looking over" is crucial, especially when you are entrusting your life to that assembly of plastic and metal. I'll give you a simple example; you inspect the tyres and notice a small bulge in the front where a previous puncture has ruptured the carcass and threads are beginning to tear. A blowout could happen but your inspection has forestalled it.

Sharky

Guru
Regarding mirrors, a work colleague, who commuted regularly used a helmet mirror and praised it a lot.

I used a handlebar mirror following a broken collar bone for a few months, when I had difficulty turning my head. I found it a useful indicator when NOT to move out, but could not rely on it to know when it was safe to move out. Found myself stopping on the left and looking back fully until it was safe to venture out and sometimes walking across. After a while, mobility returned to my shoulder/neck and I discarded the mirror.

simongt

Guru
Regarding mirrors, a work colleague, who commuted regularly used a helmet mirror and praised it a lot.
Definitely agree ref. mirrors. I have one on my bash hat and a bar end one. Mirrors are very useful AS AN AID to seeing what's around you, but NEVER to be relied on. Always, always look behind before manoevering. :thumbsup:

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member

I used a handlebar mirror following a broken collar bone for a few months, when I had difficulty turning my head. I found it a useful indicator when NOT to move out, but could not rely on it to know when it was safe to move out. Found myself stopping on the left and looking back fully until it was safe to venture out and sometimes walking across. After a while, mobility returned to my shoulder/neck and I discarded the mirror.

Definitely agree ref. mirrors. I have one on my bash hat and a bar end one. Mirrors are very useful AS AN AID to seeing what's around you, but NEVER to be relied on. Always, always look behind before manoevering. :thumbsup:

I have a bar end mirror, made by Mirrycle, that came with the bike and it is a game changer for me! I am hard of hearing and it allows me to see cars coming up behind me that I am often times unable to hear. I use it just like a side mirror on a car and find it very helpful!

I'm late to the party but have a couple of comments to add.

I'd certainly recommend a mirror. On a drop bar bike I use one of these https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories/left-sprintech-racing-road-mirror-black/
Having said that, I always do a rear look as well, but only if I can see I have enough space behind in case I wobble. Some say they use hearing to check for close cars, but I find in urban situations there is too much noise pollution; and there are quiet things like bicycles and electrically powered vehicles .

To find / create rides on quiet roads and cycle tracks try the cycle.travel website.

Top Bottom