Getting my 10 year old son used to riding his first road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
We have bought our son his first road bike for his 10th birthday in a couple of weeks, a dawes espoir. Currently he cycles with me on his mountain bike and can happily do 20 miles with confidance. What's the best way to teach him how to get used to a different style of riding?

jay

To be honest, a bike's a bike. Road may be a different discipline from mountain, but I doubt that he'll have to get 'used to it'. Are you concerned about his safety on the road?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I don't know - from comments from my friends whose children have them - they seem to need to practise the skills of looking behind and signalling again from the different position on the bike.

JNR

I don't know - from comments from my friends whose children have them - they seem to need to practise the skills of looking behind and signalling again from the different position on the bike.

I'd agree with this. Different positions with hands and centre of mass will be different, I find that even slight changes in my posture on the road bike change it's directions a lot.

jimboalee

I progressed from a rod brake 20" boys bike to a 26" youths sports tourer when I was 11.

Piece of cake.

If your lad does the same as one of my friends, he'll remember where the brakes are for sure after his first ride into a stationary car.

OP
OP
jayonabike

jayonabike