Getting my own back.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hover Fly

Lazy so and so
Way back when I first started work, one of the first things I spent a fair amount of money on was a new frame from Harry Hall's, then in Cathedral street Manchester. Standing out on the pavement looking at the choice I had, a ruby flamboyant Harry Hall, or Holdsworths in blue or green, all 531 PG, I chose the HH even though it was £7 more expensive, mainly for the colour and gold transfers. I went up in the world and a few years later bought a butted frame, the HH went to my father who used it for a few more years, then gave it to a workmate to go to work on, I thought I had seen the last of it. Until tonight, a knock at the door,Moon Bunny opened it. "Is this where *Hover Fly* lives?" "It is" she calls me. "Hello, I'm ********'s son, he used to work with your father" "Yes" I said "I remember him". Your dad gave him a bike once, when he was short of money." "Yep, it was way too good to go to Vickers on" "He died earlier this year, asked me if I could find you and give you it back." "Oh, I don't know what to say" "I've got it in my car, I'll go and get it". A bottle of wine as a thank you, and it's now stood in the hallway, bearing the scars of its "gosh how long?" adventures but still the frame I knew and loved all that time ago.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Hover Fly that is a fantastic story

can we have some pics please , i bet you never expected to see it again did you

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Wow! Lovely story and it's nice to know of someone who would want to do that.

OP
OP
Hover Fly

Hover Fly

Lazy so and so
Wasted no time stripping it and arranging a CAT scan:
P1010612 - Edited.jpg

I'm thinking 5 speed with the Campag. steel chainset and early Shim hubs illustrated, or maybe a Sturmey Archer.

ozboz

Guru
Harry Hall's ! I remember that shop ! One of the places I stand for hours drooling and wishing !
Lovely story !!

RichardB

Slightly retro
Am I alone in getting just slightly moist-eyed at this story? What a fantastic thing to do.

Daddybus

Über Member
Good grief there's no (hover) flies on you... All stripped & cleaned in an evening? Would have taken me a week! Looks cracking & good condition too

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
What a great father and son for returning your bike. I am really looking to seeing the finished article. It looks great.

Top Bottom