Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Felt F75

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Felt Z6

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Specialized Secteur Comp

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I currently ride a Specialized Allez Sport 2009 when they were fitted with Tiagra (lucky year for me). I have won the chance to get a free bike worth 1200 but have limited choice on brand. I can choose from Trek, Specialized, Felt, Wilier.

I like my Allez so was naturally attracted to the Allez Comp but I dont think is a good value for money to upgrade my current bike which I paid for around £700 at the time for a £1200 bike which has basically only better Shimanos105's.

Plus my cycling style has changed from doing short fast rides (like time trials) to longer rides (3 hours ) so was thinking of the Secteur Comp which has a Roubaix frame (in allu) and is a little more relaxed ride.
I am finding on my long rides that my right shoulder muscle (trapezious) hurts, even though I had my bike fitted by my local dealer.

I quite like the Trek bikes but I dont think the specs are as good for the money
Wilier may be out of the price range and no experience of Felt plus no dealers around my area.

What do you think would be the most sensible upgrade?

many thanks :smile:

Trickydicky

Can u add say 300-400 pounds to u winnings? And lucky u!

Trickydicky

hi, I dont really want to stretch over £200 even though is really tempting, I want to remain grounded! :tongue:

Yer the next big level up is about 1500, where u start gettin into the relm of full carbon bikes (or atleast the big manufacturas price range).

But it realy is dependant on how it rides

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

I was not too keen on Carbon because I think for £1400 I get a bottom of the range carbon whereas I can get an almost top of the range alu for the same money. I am aware that there are differnt 'types' of carbon but I am open to suggestions, which one was you thinking of?

Trickydicky

I was not too keen on Carbon because I think for £1400 I get a bottom of the range carbon whereas I can get an almost top of the range alu for the same money. I am aware that there are differnt 'types' of carbon but I am open to suggestions, which one was you thinking of?

Well yer u will get the same on ur top of the range Alu with better wheels and a better groupset (ultegra).
But it depends on what you want to be doin with the bike?
what is most important to you?
how the bike handles?
your geometry?
What the difference for you is between the groupsets? (do u feel that much difference between Ultegra and 105)
Where do u have to spend the money? (is it anywhere nationaly?)

TD

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

Well yer u will get the same on ur top of the range Alu with better wheels and a better groupset (ultegra).
But it depends on what you want to be doin with the bike? Ride between 20 to 60 miles rides 2-3 times a week, mild weather only :rolleyes:
what is most important to you? Comfort, speed, look nice in between :wub:
how the bike handles? Responsive and good brakes
your geometry? Im 5.10.5 * 13 st , had a slipped disk 3 years ago so stopped running and started road riding instead (was already a keen MTB rider) so dont want anything too 'punishing' since Im only riding for fitness, group rides and occasional summer race/ride.
What the difference for you is between the groupsets? (do u feel that much difference between Ultegra and 105) never used other groupsets only going but reviews that they are lighter/smoother etc...
Where do u have to spend the money? (is it anywhere nationaly?) in a local shop (not franchise etc)

TD

Im so jealous :*(

When I win the lottery I ll upgrade your bike :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im so jealous :*(

If the OP cant decide shall we split the winnings and have a £600 bike each ?:biggrin:

cyberknight

You are best to try and have a test ride or sit on each bike before you decide what you will use the money on as every bike has a different geometry, unless it is from the same manufacturer and they have stated it is the same.

Ask a what bike question and what you will get is a lot of answers saying "this bike is best because it suits me "

If the bike you have now fits like a glove it could be well worth writing down the important measurements and comparing them to what you are looking at buying.

I have never ridden any of those bikes but from what you say about longer rides then maybe the Specialized Secteur with the roubaix geometry sounds like a good starting point.

BikePositionRoad.jpg

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

hi Smokey, I read so many good things about the CAAD that I wouldnt hesitate if they stocked it.
CK thanks for your advice too, been trying to read about Felt bikes but not much said about them, found that when people has a choice of them amongst other bikes, the other bikes always come on top of suggestions even though nothing bad is really said about the Felt.

Went to my LBS this morning to have a check at my current bike as Im aching on longer rides but been told that the bike is set up ok so it must be me :blush: anyway they had lovely bikes in there wish I could have got the bike anywhere then I wouldnt have been so confused. He told me that the 'natural' progression from my current bike would be a carbon... Roubaix or a Cube Agree (cheaper with better specs!) what things of fine beauty :wub:, must keep my head level I do want to put £400 towards the bike, if I can resist, I must resist :tongue:

cyberknight

Went to my LBS this morning to have a check at my current bike as Im aching on longer rides but been told that the bike is set up ok so it must be me :blush:

Could just be getting used to riding longer, do you change your hand position regularly?It could even be a non bike issue that is aggravated by cycling like i had with back ache .

Try doing some stretching exercises for the affected areas.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

yes I do tend to move, I also have aero bars fitted to it which I use on long straight stretches of the road. And you are spot on I do have an underlying back problem (slipped a disk 3 years ago dont even want to think about it) which I may be flaring up on my long rides :sad:

hence hoping to get a little bit more comfortable on the next bike, less vibrations, which is what the carbon would offer me, oh no Im trying to convince myself again ...:tongue:

Top Bottom