Getting new tyres on rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

There was an article on the Internet a while ago describing a technique that involved using a foot to help fit the last part of the tyre. Unfortunately I can't find the article again and can't remember the exact method.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Quite simply you need to stand on bit of the tyre you've already done with one foot to prevent it slipping off again as you begin to force the last few inches over the rim. Be sure not to crush the rim or scratch the braking surface though.

None of this would be necessary if people would simply cover everything with a liberal dusting of talc.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've got an image of somebody kicking their tyre shouting 'get in there ye bas' ;)

:biggrin::laugh::biggrin: Very good. I think it involved standing the wheel on the floor vertical with the last section of tyre at the bottom, putting the toe of your shoe on the tyre and pushing the top of the wheel away from you with one hand while pulling the bottom of the wheel towards you with the other hand to pull the rim over the tyre bead. But that's all I remember, there might be more to it than that.

longers

Legendary Member
:biggrin::laugh::biggrin: Very good. I think it involved standing the wheel on the floor vertical with the last section of tyre at the bottom, putting the toe of your shoe on the tyre and pushing the top of the wheel away from you with one hand while pulling the bottom of the wheel towards you with the other hand to pull the rim over the tyre bead. But that's all I remember, there might be more to it than that.

I've done it using the edge of my heel on the last bit of tyre and pushing the wheel away from you at the top after seeing the technique on yacf, it worked a treat. Stiff shoes help.

jimboalee

He must have been a motoX rider or an Enduro rider.

Its the only way to get an off-road motorbike tyre back on the rim.

PS have you seen a pair of motorcycle tyre levers?

potsy

Rambler
I do that and I always manage to slip it in first time...
:whistle:

Are we still talking about tyres?
ohmy.gif

rh100

>> I guarantee that when it does, I'll try to pump it up and find that I've got a pinch puncture like what happened on the first attempt today.

I changed a tyre for the first time yesterday. I watched a number of videos on youtube first to see how it was done.

They said you could avoid pinch punctures by slightly inflating the tube first (just enough to give it some shape) and then pushing it up in to the tyre before putting it on the rim.

It worked for me. Unfortunately I twisted the chain and spent ages trying to untwist it but that's another story!

I always inflate the tube slightly, makes it so much easier to fit when it has proper shape. Also, once it's all together and before inflating properly, push the valve into tyre nearly all the way through, then pull back out, I think this prevents the pinch flat near the valve at least (read that somewhere), then secure the valve if it has a lock ring and inflate.

Also, before inflating I will push the sidewalls inwards and look between tyre and rim all the way around, just to check if any tube protruding through.

I have some of those pedro levers - nice and strong but I find them difficult to get under the tyre in the first place to remove, and once the first one is locked in place next to impossible to get the second one in.

Top Bottom