Getting power down?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

Hi,
I’ve just recently got a road bike and I have a hybrid bike. I definitely have a faster average on the road bike. However, on steep hills, I always feel like I ‘get the power down’ - better [?] on my hybrid bike - I feel I can drive my quads harder on the hybrid.
Is it just that it ‘is’ harder and therefore I feel it more or is there a bit of science behind maybe I am able to put more power down?
Does anyone else have this experience and know what I mean?!
Many thanks.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Different position probably

Maybe you're pulling on the bars as you climb and the wider bars on the hybrid make you feel more 'planted' and with a longer lever to pull against. Very few people deadlift weights with their hands 42cm apart at the outsides, so yes, different position, probably, as @T.M.H.N.E.T says.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

longer cranks on the hybrid ? i know when i used longer cranks felt you were putting more power by having to push the gear around.
That’s very possible.

Thanks everyone, all interesting points. I should definitely time the hill and then allowing for the extra weight of the hybrid if it is a very similar time then my basic physics tells me I generate more power on the hybrid - but let‘s see!!!

ChrisEyles

Guru
Different body position can mean you use more quads (seat forward) or more hamstrings (seat back) to produce power, which can feel quite different.

Don't think either is particularly better, after all your fitness and muscle strength/endurance will adapt to whatever you're used to.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Different body position can mean you use more quads (seat forward) or more hamstrings (seat back) to produce power, which can feel quite different.

Don't think either is particularly better, after all your fitness and muscle strength/endurance will adapt to whatever you're used to.

many thanks

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Is the gearing like for like?
Completely different. I think it could be as simple as I just ride the road bike (more spinny) in a different way to the hybrid (grind) but I kind of like the grind feeling I get with the hybrid and the road bike doesn’t feel like it suits that type of riding - but I could try and adapt to more of a grind on it.

Top Bottom