Getting punctures with tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
In the last three years on the commute I had about five puctures and four of them were in the last fortnight (six rides). I looked at the conti gatorskins and could still see the wear indicator dimples.
Its wet, the roads have been salted (not recently)....etc etc
Decided enough was enough and put back on an old pair of Schwalbe Marathons until the summer arrives. They are heavy but do the job.

Tyres are bound to get less puncture resistant with age but surely if you can still see the wear indicator it should have some resistance still as they would have cost me circa £30 each.

Thoughts?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get new tyres, they are probably worn despite the so called indicators. Assuming you’ve checked the rims and rim tape

Gatorskins aren’t the most puncture resistant despite the cost

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
New tyre time sunshine ! Simples.

The only tyres you can push that are Schwalbe where if the blue puncture strip starts showing, time to replace as you've no rubber left.

KneesUp

Guru
Good idea, forgetting to rotate tyres. It's a waste of time.
I tried not rotating the tyres on the commute this morning, but it meant that the wheel wouldn't turn so I gave up.

The wear on the rear tyre on my bike (95% commuting with rear panniers) is significantly more than on the front, so I do swap them over roughly at the point where I think the rear looks more worn than the front. With the last set of tyres this turned out to have been about halfway between then being new and me suddenly getting lots of punctures. I'm sure if I'd left them I'd have worn out the rear much sooner - and then I'd have been left with odd tyres because I didn't particularly like the old ones, so wanted to change to another type.

I looked at the conti gatorskins and could still see the wear indicator dimples.

Thoughts?

Tread Wear Indicators!!

I only knew about this amount of wear, because I was asked how did I ride through paint, without getting any on the front tyre!?

2007. Yellow Bike. 3.JPG 2007. Yellow Bike. 5.JPG
The other side of the pictures is, that it shows how puncture resistant they must have been!!
It was my work-bike of the time

Schwalbe Blizzard, according to my social media

Top Bottom