Getting rid of a car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After starting to cycle to work last June, we have had 2 cars as me and the wife both drove to work. But now I cycle and she walks, so after 10 years of superb ownership, and 188,000 miles covered my beloved Puma is going.

I am sad to see her go, she never once broke down, 100% reliable, but the cost of running a car to just sit on the drive Monday to Friday and still have another in the garage is just ridiculous, so tomorrow she goes.

A little sad, but its going to save me a fortune as the MOT, service were due, and she would have needed a new clutch soon.

So onwards and upwards !

I really fancy a mountain bike !!!!!!!:smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you allowed to spend the proceeds.......?

2 cars here, one that sits on the drive all week too..I've thought about selling, but there are times when we need two (i.e. kid taxi) and my car's bigger for carrying the bikes and stuff on holiday. The wife's car is much more economical, and is 10 years old now, but brill.

So that would mean one car on the drive and an empty garage. Aaah, what to do with all that space....
ShowImage.aspx

and you just can't leave them empty...

NigC

It was a choice of 2nd car or bike for us - not really a contest in today's world. My 5.5 mile commute takes about the same as it does by car, but saves an absolute fortune in running costs :laugh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I gave up our car once. Worked out that even if I had to hire a car every other weekend, it would still be cheaper than owning my own.

Hiring tips:
If you book late at Hertz, it is very common to get an upgrade. Was upgraded once from a Ford Fiesta to a Alfa Romeo GT. (Now I want one...)

Don't know if you have a car club nearby, but they are good for short loans - a couple of hours or so.

Tot up the cost, and include depreciation (which is one of the biggest), but not fuel. And enjoy having a different car every time. I've driven a Chevrolet Matiz (don't - just don't), Fiesta, Focus, Corsa, etc. Just nice to have a change.

Got a car in the end as I was having to do a lot more journeys at much shorter notice, so couldn't do the hire thing any more. And wife has mobility issues, so often needs to be transported short distances by car.

It'll be sad to see the Puma go - I got rid of a Fiat Coupé, but still have photos and a little model of it, just to remind myself of the happy times.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
We recently got rid of our car and to be fair, we havent missed it at all. We both have montain bikes and for longer trips, scooters :smile:

EvoII

As much as I love cycling, I couldn't get rid of my car. It's not really a daily driver anyway and I love driving it for pleasure at the weekend. I'd save money by selling it but I enjoy a good drive as much as a good cycle ride :smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Just done the same myself,sold one car but kept the VW due to one not being used at all due to me cycling everywhere.looking forward to all that drive space and saving yet more £££££££

BentMikey said:
Wheelbenders, Piemaster? Perhaps something slightly better for our bikes?

Best thing I could find to illustrate the point ;). Better with a row of sheffield stands in the garage then or, errr, what?

Actually I don't see so much of a problem with wheelbenders in your own garage, where the bikes would be gently cosseted. Never use them on the street though.

Top Bottom