getting smiled at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

hee hee hee!!! All I can gleen some of the mocking responses thus far, is that there sure are some 'ugly buglies' on here!!!

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Don't be such a silly cynic!!! I'm sure you get the odd smile as well. If not then I surely wish I could bottle them for you.

noooo! When I'm cycling it's normally far too windy for peds, and there's normally far too much tumbleweed blowing about for them to even come out of their houses.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
noooo! When I'm cycling it's normally far too windy for peds, and there's normally far too much tumbleweed blowing about for them to even come out of their houses.

bloody 'ell bonjster!!! I thought at least you'd know what I'm talking about.

Do you know what I mean about that 'wired nervous reaction smile' that girls (and some guys) give you, when you're cycling in proximity to them?

It's like Odyssey was getting at, it's almost like a relationship taken place in a second.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
bloody 'ell bonjster!!! I thought at least you'd know what I'm talking about.

Do you know what I mean about that 'wired nervous reaction smile' that girls (and some guys) give you, when you're cycling in proximity to them?

It's like Odyssey was getting at, it's almost like a relationship taken place in a second.

yeah, I know what you mean. But i dont' get it, well - not from "3 or 4 in 10" people - I don't cycle on cycle paths much, and i don't do much 'utility' cycling. Try being less 'utility' abitrary, and you might find the smiles drop off. In fact, I'd go so far as saying the percentage of smiles is proportional to utilityness.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
Try being less 'utility' abitrary, and you might find the smiles drop off. In fact, I'd go so far as saying the percentage of smiles is proportional to utilityness.

Now I think about it, you have a point. I refuse to wear cycling gear because, well because it costs money and it's poncey.

When they see someone hurtling towards them in fleece / jeans / toestraps, they think one thing, and it's the thing that makes them smile:

"I could do that".

Odyssey

I get it Arbitrary. I'm not anything of a vastly experienced cyclist but I've been noticing lately, when I'm riding on the road, and say there'll be someone waiting to cross, they always smile as I go past. Big meatheads too, who I'm expecting to try and stare me out as I glide by, but no, a smile breaks out. Sometimes it's a little frightening. It really is. I'm not sure how to react having been raised in an anti-social society. It's almost a special moment. It leaves me perplexed...

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Odyssey said:
I get it Arbitrary. I'm not anything of a vastly experienced cyclist but I've been noticing lately, when I'm riding on the road, and say there'll be someone waiting to cross, they always smile as I go past. Big meatheads too, who I'm expecting to try and stare me out as I glide by, but no, a smile breaks out. Sometimes it's a little frightening. It really is. I'm not sure how to react having been raised in an anti-social society. It's almost a special moment. It leaves me perplexed...

crikey, odyssey, I usually make intellectual points with my threads, and throw a couple of bananas to the trolling monkeys, but at last someone understands me. Just enjoy the smiles, and we can discuss them on here.

Odyssey

Maybe we just keep smiling at each other?

Jaded

Abitrary said:
Not really, because it's been happening through the winter as well. It's almost like a knee jerk reaction. Even if the pedestrian clocks me out the corner of their eye, and they are frowning at the time, then by the time their head is fully swivelled, and their eyes locked onto mine, they are fully and naturally smiling.

I would doubt that they are smiling because they are imagining kneeing the jerk.

It is spring, the one time of year when most people seem to be full of the joys and respond positively. Mind you I really had to beam at a female cyclist to get the look of terror off her face as I approached today...

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Jaded said:
It is spring, the one time of year when most people seem to be full of the joys and respond positively. Mind you I really had to beam at a female cyclist to get the look of terror off her face as I approached today...

LOL!!!! You are an ugly bugly!!!

MER Veteran

Hmmmmmmmm I didn't help myself with those two old ladies who crossed on the ped lights that were flashing yellow.I was really cheesed off and didn't like hanging about all day when peds insist on crossing when they feel like it and not obeying the lights.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Now I think about it, you have a point. I refuse to wear cycling gear because, well because it costs money and it's poncey.

When they see someone hurtling towards them in fleece / jeans / toestraps, they think one thing, and it's the thing that makes them smile:

"I could do that".

Yeah, they want to BE you abitrary, and what's more, they think they can. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with people thinking they could be me.

Top Bottom