getting smiled at

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

On my new split cycle path / pavement route I noticed girls smiling at me quite a lot, I mean a lot more than when I'm footbound. I thought this was because I looked ruggedly utilitarian and potentially sexually adventurous on my bike.

However, and interestingly, I was only seeing what I wanted to see, because I now notice it's not just girls but actual blokes as well. And I don't mean the one in ten, you know, 'naturally smiley blokes', because it's more like 3 or 4 out of ten.

I've tried to work out the type of smile they all give me, and it's not flirtatious or anything, but more relaxed and wondrous, a bit like the open faced natural smile on people at the end of alien films when they watch a friendly mothership arrive.

Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing on cycle paths? It probably doesn't happen on roads.

bonj2

They probably KNOW you're Abitrary, Abitrary.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
They probably KNOW you're Abitrary, Abitrary.

Don't be such a silly cynic!!! I'm sure you get the odd smile as well. If not then I surely wish I could bottle them for you.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

snorri said:
:smile:It's the time of year Abitrary, spring has arrived everyone is smiling more:smile:, and it is happening on the roads too.:eek::smile::biggrin:

Not really, because it's been happening through the winter as well. It's almost like a knee jerk reaction. Even if the pedestrian clocks me out the corner of their eye, and they are frowning at the time, then by the time their head is fully swivelled, and their eyes locked onto mine, they are fully and naturally smiling.

Odyssey

I reckon it's because they know that, since your whizzing past on your bike, they have no obligation to stop and talk to you.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Odyssey said:
I reckon it's because they know that, since your whizzing past on your bike, they have no obligation to stop and talk to you.

You're absolutely right!!! That's what it is. Cyclists give people an excuse to smile. A fleeting stab at bonhomie.

killiekosmos

Veteran
are you in lycra as you pass them?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

killiekosmos said:
are you in lycra as you pass them?

Nope. Have no fancy cycling clothing - that is all a marketing gimic. I cycle in what I wear when I need to be what I'm in where I'm cycling to.

Tynan

Veteran
perhaps they remember you from the day before

I'm thinking laughing at rather than with I'm afraid

yenrod

Abitrary said:
On my new split cycle path / pavement route I noticed girls smiling at me quite a lot, I mean a lot more than when I'm footbound. I thought this was because I looked ruggedly utilitarian and potentially sexually adventurous on my bike.

However, and interestingly, I was only seeing what I wanted to see, because I now notice it's not just girls but actual blokes as well. And I don't mean the one in ten, you know, 'naturally smiley blokes', because it's more like 3 or 4 out of ten.

I've tried to work out the type of smile they all give me, and it's not flirtatious or anything, but more relaxed and wondrous, a bit like the open faced natural smile on people at the end of alien films when they watch a friendly mothership arrive.

Has anyone else noticed this sort of thing on cycle paths? It probably doesn't happen on roads.

They're in exultation of you Abs !!! ;)

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

yenrod said:
They're in exultation of you Abs !!! ;)

No yenners, not at all!!! I'm not a pretty sight bikebound or not.

I think Odyssey has hit the nail on the head with the psychology, and it extrapolates as thus:

-Pedestrian feels secure walking along pavement, yet subconciously aware it is not going as fast as it could
-Cars go past. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh.
-A cyclist goes past using the same effort, on an apparatus the same weight as a heavy umbrella
-The pedestrian smiles at realising all this

Top Bottom