Getting the chain wheels off.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old timer

Über Member
sorry, it probably seems dumb but i need to remove my triple crank set from my 20 year old Evans, no problem getting the nut off but before I start to prise the assembly off I suppose that maybe a puller is made for the job that will leave things undamaged.

anyone point me to an on line sourse reasonable?

Thanks

C

chillyuk

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4939

free postage as well.

Google "bicycle crank extractor tool", you will find hundreds. Ebay is a good source as well.

gbb

Legendary Member
As chilly says...mine was about a fiver a couple of years ago.
When you do use one, make sure you thread it into the cranks carefully and plenty of the way in. The threads in cranks can sometimes damage very easily, then you've a world of pain....and not a little expense :biggrin:

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
Thanks.

I see now, there is a thread in the crank:blush: I didn`t notice that as the central plug covering the nut was just a push in plastic one. Makes sense as even a spider type puller might have damaged the alloy crank.

just out of interest, can you see any reason that I couldn`t remove the third small wheel and leave it off? it is fitted on it`s own from the inside on lugs and not in any way reliant on the larger wheels.

jay clock

Massive member
do buy a decent quality tool, screw it in straight and really nice and tight. I destroyed a soft alloy chainset by ripping all the threads out then had to spend hours hacking it all off.

Another tip is once you have loosened the chainset, unscrew the tool from the chainset before you remove the chainset - much easier and much less risk of chainset teeth swinging into your shins or other bits of your body!

Re the inner ring, you could remove it, but if you really only wanted a double you would get better chainline by fitting a new double with a new BB. If you do want a new chainset for a bike like that (I assume a tourer of some type) then a Stronglight Impact is good - try Spa Cycles who can also advise about BB length etc if needed.

And if you do replace the BB, come back here if you need advice because removing a 20yr old BB may need advice too!

Landslide

Rare Migrant
When removing the central crank nut/bolt, check to see if there's a washer underneath it, and if there is, be sure to remove it before using the crank extractor tool.

As previously noted, make sure the extractor is firmly screwed all the way into the threads. If it's not fully engaged, you can strip the threads out of the crank.

As for removing the inner chainring, if you do, be sure to reset the limit screws on your front derailleur.

OP
OP
Old timer

Old timer

Über Member
I`ve ordered the puller on the link.

the reason for the question was that I`m doing a little project and fitting an electric front hub and the pedal assist ring goes under the screw in cap(the one screwed into the frame and is 65mm wide( just too wide to leave the third ring in place.

However! I`ve been told that I can fit the ring on the other side of the bottom bracket. It has a series of magnets on the plate i need to fit and a sensor plate that senses how fast you are pedalling and how much help you might need. The magnet plate is directional so I will have to reverse it(no problems) but now if i work on the left hand side(sitting on the bike facing forward) I will need to remove the large screw in cap( with a C spanner I presume) Am I likely to expose the bearings? will they fall out or are they in a cage?

the bottom bearings, crank wheels and arms are all Shimano Exage and have SIS on a lable.

Just to add more info! under that screw in cap I will have to fit a thin plate that takes the micro switch. The cap will now sit out by the thickness of the plate(not sure how thick till the kit gets here) but from pictures it looks to be about 1/16" so my question is does that screw in cap adjust the pressure on the bearings or is there another adjustment further in?

I`ll try to find a link with pictures.

Top Bottom