Getting tyre on rim advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kajjal

Guru
I have a hope 20five front wheel and getting tyres on it is hard work even with levers. On all other rims I have road, mtb etc. I can easily get tyres on just using my hands. Does any one have any tips or if you have these rims can you suggest tyres that go on easily ?

Thanks for any advice.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Here's a clip showing how to get the notorious Marathon Pluses on. The advice holds good for all other tyres......get the bead down into the well of the rim.

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4[/media]

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A bit of soap or Washing up liquid on the rim may help. Don't be afraid to use your feet (with shoes) instead of thumbs to persuade to tyre on.

Tim Hall

A bit of soap or Washing up liquid on the rim may help. Don't be afraid to use your feet (with shoes) instead of thumbs to persuade to tyre on.
To expand on this: Stand, resting the wheel on the ground next to your foot. The wheel needs to be upright and on the outside of your foot.. The not-yet-fitted bit of tyre should be at the bottom, while you hold the top of the wheel. Clip the not-yet-fitted tyre with your foot and then push the top of the wheel away from you. The action of using the wheel like a lever on the trapped tyre should pop it into place.

It's easier than my description sounds. Somewhere on the interwebs are pictures of @PippaG demonstrating this. In fact her avatar shows some $Fancy_shoes being abused for this very purpose. <little moment>

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
To expand on this: Stand, resting the wheel on the ground next to your foot. The wheel needs to be upright and on the outside of your foot.. The not-yet-fitted bit of tyre should be at the bottom, while you hold the top of the wheel. Clip the not-yet-fitted tyre with your foot and then push the top of the wheel away from you. The action of using the wheel like a lever on the trapped tyre should pop it into place.

It's easier than my description sounds. Somewhere on the interwebs are pictures of @PippaG demonstrating this. In fact her avatar shows some $Fancy_shoes being abused for this very purpose. <little moment>
This sounds good! If anybody can post a link, I would be real grateful.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
By the magic of the slightly wonky search feature on YACF, I bring you:
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28167.msg511847#msg511847
Brilliant! Thank you.

faster

Über Member
Whilst all the advice to get the bead in the well is good, it's not so good if there is no well in the rim!

Then you've just got to force it on. A VAR tyre lever (similar to the bead jack above, but more portable) has never failed for me.

OP
OP
Kajjal

Kajjal

Guru
Thanks for all the suggestions, I normally use the method in the video and put tyres on just using my hands without needing the straps. The 20five rims are hard work getting tyres on. I will now get a suitable pair of high heels to try that method :smile:

rrarider

Veteran
The main thing to do is keep calm and don't lose your temper with the damn thing; this is a lot easier to do when you're in the comfort of your own home, rather than out on the road. I would never use washing up liquid, as it just makes everything slippy, use talc instead. If you're out on road, a small container of talc is useful if it's not raining; if it is raining, then just rely on the water on the rim for lubrication. I have the type of rim which has no central well and it's a monster of a job to fit tyres. Sometimes I can do it with just my thumbs if the temperature is right and my strength holds up but 9 times out of 10, I need to use levers.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
My tool free method is to get as far as you can with installing the tyre and then.
With the part of the tyre still to install uppermost, place one hand at each point where the tyre is not on the rim. Now with your hands pointing upwards, grab the tyre in both hands and reach over the top of the tyre to the opposite rim. This will bring the heel of your hands into contact with the areas of tyre still to be installed.
Now with a tight grip and twisting motion rotate your hands forwards so that the heel of your hand pushes the tyre edge up and on to the rim. Repeat until tyre pops on.
This works for me even with 20" Mararhon Pluses.

Top Bottom