Getting video footage from a bus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peteoc

what do you need it for?

OP
OP
gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
peteoc said:
what do you need it for?

Bus driver overtook too close for comfort and then turned in on me to stop at a bus stop.

I got it all on camera already but the bus driver said he had video on his bus and I want to see what it shows.

An FOI (Freedom of Information) request will get it for you, but only because you will be on it. It may cost you a tenner though...
You may have to start the ball rolling quickly though, because I am unsure how long footage is kept for and it may well be wipedrecorded over fairly quickly.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
2Loose said:
An FOI (Freedom of Information) request will get it for you, but only because you will be on it. It may cost you a tenner though...
You may have to start the ball rolling quickly though, because I am unsure how long footage is kept for and it may well be wipedrecorded over fairly quickly.

I think places only need to keep CCTV for like 24 hours, then if they delete within 48 hours its ok, beyond this 48 hours they have to keep it archived for a longer period. Hence why nightclubs like to erase the footage within a short time, so they dont have to archive it all, saving time and money.

Might be wrong though. Or maybe I got the jist right but the times wrong, who knows :thumbsup:

BSRU

A Human Being
I would have thought the video would be protected under the Data Protection Act and not viewable by members of the public. I think Freedom Of Information act only applies to information belonging to government/public bodies.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
BSRU said:
I would have thought the video would be protected under the Data Protection Act and not viewable by members of the public. I think Freedom Of Information act only applies to information belonging to government/public bodies.

To my understanding, if any company has images/video of you or records of your details you can access them should you request with the company, under either of the two acts you comment on, not sure which one applies in this case. But the company can also charge you to see them.

bauldbairn

peteoc said:
do buses record outside now? I thought they only recorded inside buses?

Most(First Buses) definately record "outside" the front and rear of the buses - some also record the sides. It's mainly to ID unreported bus damage/collisions and for evidence in actual accidents.

bauldbairn

I think ours only record the inside.

There are round shiney domes(cameras) on all the newer "First" buses inside as well as outside. The front one is on the drivers dashboard facing out - the rear is at the top of the back of the bus on the outside, above the rear window.
Some buses have as many as eleven cameras - to monitor passengers seated and getting on and off/drivers/pedestrians/traffic. I believe the main reason is to apportion neglegence(blame) regards claims against the company - as claims for falls/trips on buses was on the increase. Also claims by motorists that buses had hit their cars can be diputed/disguarded by video evidence.

Whether any of this footage is available to the general public - I don't know!

Rob3rt said:
To my understanding, if any company has images/video of you or records of your details you can access them should you request with the company, under either of the two acts you comment on, not sure which one applies in this case. But the company can also charge you to see them.

+1, Data Protection Act protects data about YOU, therefore you are entitled to see video footage of you on request, perhaps with an administration fee.
But BSRU was correct about FOI requests only being valid when dealing with Public Organisations.

BSRU

A Human Being
Rob3rt said:

Would that mean the company would have to obscure anyone else's face or personal details such as reg. plates or cannot it be viewed raw?

thomas

the tank engine
BSRU said:

BSRU said:
Would that mean the company would have to obscure anyone else's face or personal details such as reg. plates or cannot it be viewed raw?

You have a right to view any data held about you...other people in the video may need to be obscured, kinda depends on the situation. If for instance someone waved at a CCTV camera then you wouldn't need to (as they are acknowledging it), but for normal passers by then it may be required.

However, you can't view data MI5 hold on you, or use the freedom to information act to view them and other 'secrets' like that...as obviously it wouldn't be too wise.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd go with what Mr Paul said. Send your clip into the company, whilst reminding them that their vehicles also carry cameras.

With regards placement of these cameras. Some are mounted to one side of the engine cover or above the engine cover angled downwards slightly.

"Collision Cameras" is the term given rather than CCTV. This if I remember right gets round a few loopholes in the law which governs their use. I may be wrong on this last bit, but it does limit who has access to the footage however.

What company if you don't mind me asking.

Top Bottom