getting your colours done

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mr Pig said:
Ok, but do you really need to pay someone to figure out how? What you look good in should be the kind of advice you get for free from family, friends, staff in shops and a modicum of common sense when you look in the mirror!

My cousin said a jacket I was wearing was quite the most revolting jacket she'd seen in her life.

walker

The Mrs Aunt had it done and was told her colour was brown, every time you see her at a family do she is wearing brown, she looks like a huge turd

bonj2

Fnaar said:
I'll happily advise, for 50 notes a throw.
Ab, make sure to avoid beige, at least till you reach 65, then beige, vinyl shoes and pastel jumpers are pretty much compulsory. You can PM your money. :biggrin:

EXACTLY! Abitrary, let me put this to you: There's nothing stopping ME setting myself up as a franchisee of this colour-coding business, all I have to do is pay a whacking start up fee, for which I'll receive some stationary and fancy folders to give out to customers, and then I'll be registered to receive names of clients. All I then have to do is meet them, collect their money, and schmooze them, before giving them one of the folders. Easy.
So what makes you think one of the ones already registered is going to know any more than me? Have you done any research into what training or qualifications they have got?

Again, I should point out that I feel bad for being cynical BECAUSE of the fact that in principle it sounds like A NICE IDEA - but looking at it from an economic point of view it's ridiculous. Try looking at it from their point of view, rather than from your own, through rose tinted specs.

And these pool cars - are you actually going to be driving them yourself?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
There's nothing stopping ME setting myself up as a franchisee of this colour-coding business

I can see that this has sparked your imagination, and yes you do have the enthusiasm and interpersonal skills.

Howevever, to become a proper authorative stylist i.e. styling whole groups, being an expert witness in court cases etc., I think you actually do have to have proper qualifications.

Someone was telling me that Gok Wan (below) has got a degree in drama. But he must have done a finisher course.

ed_imggok_wan_50273a.jpg

bonj2

Abitrary said:
I can see that this has sparked your imagination, and yes you do have the enthusiasm and interpersonal skills.

Howevever, to become a proper authorative stylist i.e. styling whole groups, being an expert witness in court cases etc.,
In what situation would you require a colour stylist as an expert witness in a court case?
What sort of crime woudld warrant that?

Abitrary said:
I think you actually do have to have proper qualifications.

I don't think you do.
Have you got any evidence that makes you believe that this is the case?

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Howevever, to become a proper authorative stylist i.e. styling whole groups, being an expert witness in court cases etc., I think you actually do have to have proper qualifications.

Someone was telling me that Gok Wan (below) has got a degree in drama. But he must have done a finisher course.
Find me a prospectus for an available course from an indepdnent establishment in 'colour styling' or some such discipline that would give you such a qualification.

If such courses aren't readily available, how is the colour coding buiness going to have an adeqate supply of qualified consultants?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
I don't think you do.
Have you got any evidence that makes you believe that this is the case?

Hmm, just doing a bit of research and they have a mixed bag of degrees, doctorates and professional qualifications, but I can't single out a standard one.

I guess it works like all professions except medicine, which I think is the only one you actually have to be qualified in.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
Hmm, just doing a bit of research and they have a mixed bag of degrees, doctorates and professional qualifications, but I can't single out a standard one.

I guess it works like all professions except medicine, which I think is the only one you actually have to be qualified in.

Well that's typical of a bunch of the average population.
If you take a random handful of people, it's likely they'll have a "mixed bag of degrees, doctorates and professional qualifications", but what specifically makes any of them more likely than the next man to know about what colour goes with what?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

bonj said:
Well that's typical of a bunch of the average population.
If you take a random handful of people, it's likely they'll have a "mixed bag of degrees, doctorates and professional qualifications", but what specifically makes any of them more likely than the next man to know about what colour goes with what?

oh I don't know, I guess it's darwinian where the bad ones, and potentially color blind ones, get weeded out over time.

I guess you need to get some testimonies from former clients and perhaps some before / after pics.

bonj2

Abitrary said:
oh I don't know, I guess it's darwinian where the bad ones, and potentially color blind ones, get weeded out over time.

I guess you need to get some testimonies from former clients and perhaps some before / after pics.

they make them up!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Can I just stick my oar in over the whole "ask a female friend" bit? Not all women are automatically genetically programmed with dress sense. I'm not. I wear mostly blue, because I like blue. Sometimes, I branch out and wear a dark red top, because people have said the colour suits me. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't have a clue.

My sister on the other hand, has a very good sense of what looks right, and a briallant talent for making you feel you ought to buy something, and feeling happy when you've bought it. If i ever decided I needed a makeover (unlikely) I'd go to her... I've no doubt, if she wanted to, she could be a consultant of that sort.

I think the main benefits of anything like that are 1) you get some 'quality time' with someone who will generally be telling you how to look good, which is good for your self esteem, if it's low and :biggrin: you might find there's some shade or colour or style which really suits you, but you wouldn't have thought to try because you're stuck in a rut of what you normally choose.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Arch said:
Can I just stick my oar in over the whole "ask a female friend" bit? Not all women are automatically genetically programmed with dress sense. I'm not. I wear mostly blue, because I like blue. Sometimes, I branch out and wear a dark red top, because people have said the colour suits me. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't have a clue.

I cannot think of one thing more likely to cause contention amonst women than over what colours to wear. I used to have this sort of light blue satin bomber jacket that a mates sister said suited me, so I wore it even more.

Another female friend said she liked it, and when I said "thanks! so-and-so said it was my colour", I saw rage well in her eyes and she said something like "what does that tart know?, blah blah blah".

At this point I stopped listening.

Top Bottom