Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
With the front brake problem, as long as the disc hasn't warped just loosen the bolts holding the calipers onto the forks slightly, pull in and hold the brake lever which will correctly position the caliper and then tighten the bolts. Also make sure you've got the thru axle tightened up correctly.

For the odd noise, if it's not something as simple as a lace on your shoes catching the frame or your shoes catching on the front mech's cable sticking out (as it only happens when pedaling) try a bit more carbon paste on the seatpost and check you've got the bolt tightened to the correct torque.

I can't advise on the riding position as it always takes a few weeks of tweeking and trying different bits when I get a new bike, but best of luck and carry a multitool to try little changes each time you go out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

With the front brake problem, as long as the disc hasn't warped just loosen the bolts holding the calipers onto the forks slightly, pull in and hold the brake lever which will correctly position the caliper and then tighten the bolts. Also make sure you've got the thru axle tightened up correctly.

For the odd noise, if it's not something as simple as a lace on your shoes catching the frame or your shoes catching on the front mech's cable sticking out (as it only happens when pedaling) try a bit more carbon paste on the seatpost and check you've got the bolt tightened to the correct torque.

I can't advise on the riding position as it always takes a few weeks of tweeking and trying different bits when I get a new bike, but best of luck and carry a multitool to try little changes each time you go out.
Thanks.
I've been out again and the front disc is definitely rubbing, very slightly. The pending service will sort that out.
Also there is a squeaking type noise when I go over bumps, I suspect it's the SKS Raceblades Pro mudguards. The squeaking could be the rubber straps moving slightly?
I've tried securing them more tightly but there's only so much you can do so without over stretching and breaking the rubber straps that go around the fork blades.
I don't think it's the seat post, so at least that's something!

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks.
I've been out again and the front disc is definitely rubbing, very slightly. The pending service will sort that out.
Also there is a squeaking type noise when I go over bumps, I suspect it's the SKS Raceblades Pro mudguards. The squeaking could be the rubber straps moving slightly?
I've tried securing them more tightly but there's only so much you can do so without over stretching and breaking the rubber straps that go around the fork blades.
I don't think it's the seat post, so at least that's something!

Put a bit of tape or old inner tube under the straps?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Put a bit of tape or old inner tube under the straps?
Ah yes, you know I’ve just remembered that they came with some self adhesive strips to put on under the rubber straps, but I didn’t bother. I’ll fit them and see if it helps. 👍

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Tbh I thought they were only to protect the paintwork but see how they might also help stop rubber squeak.

Top Bottom