Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suppose that any carbon, modern bike, be it 1x or 2x will feel infinitely faster, lighter and easier up hills

You have nailed it on the head there! Just comparing my lightest road bike (7.5kg) to the gravel bike (9.5kg) on big hills and i really notice it. Have to go down a couple of extra cogs on the gravel. Not just weight at play here, also carbon frame stiffness/geometry etc ... narrower tyres (although that will open a can of worms).
So no surprise they put lower gears on the heavier Giant Escapes etc, compared to the Fastroads.
It's not so clear-cut dismissing aluminium frames either ... a Canyon Roadlite 5 gets you to Fastroad 1 weight for 950 quid and has 1x11sp ^_^
1662565872222.png

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

You have nailed it on the head there! Just comparing my lightest road bike (7.5kg) to the gravel bike (9.5kg) on big hills and i really notice it. Have to go down a couple of extra cogs on the gravel. Not just weight at play here, also carbon frame stiffness/geometry etc ... narrower tyres (although that will open a can of worms).
So no surprise they put lower gears on the heavier Giant Escapes etc, compared to the Fastroads.
It's not so clear-cut dismissing aluminium frames either ... a Canyon Roadlite 5 gets you to Fastroad 1 weight for 950 quid and has 1x11sp ^_^
View attachment 660308
Thanks, that Canyon looks very nice and it is light.
However I fear the geometry may be a little too aggressive for me.
Also, it has an SRAM set up (not keen on the shifting action) and it’s only a 46 lowest gear at the back.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I tried the Trek FX 4 Sport today, in medium.
The standover was too high, pushing into my bits.
The small was too small in other ways, so that bike is now out the running.
I have decided to get a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1. I’ll order it Monday.
I may look into putting a 11/40 cassette on the back, this video seems to suggest it is easily done

View: https://youtu.be/P5G_KtK3LVk

Apparently no road link needed , just a new chain and adjust the B screw on the derailleur.
The guy on the video is running the same 105 set up of a 34/51 front, although with a smaller 11/32 cassette on the rear as opposed to the 11/34 on the new Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.
Another option is to swap out to a sub compact GRX front 2x (either 46/30 or 48/31)
Anyway, I’m going for the Advanced 1, regardless.

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<Snip>
I have decided to get a Giant Fastroad Advanced 1. I’ll order it Monday.
I may look into putting a 11/40 cassette on the back, this video seems to suggest it is easily done

View: https://youtu.be/P5G_KtK3LVk

Apparently no road link needed , just a new chain and adjust the B screw on the derailleur.
The guy on the video is running the same 105 set up of a 34/51 front, although with a smaller 11/32 cassette on the rear as opposed to the 11/34 on the new Giant Fastroad Advanced 1.
Another option is to swap out to a sub compact GRX front 2x (either 46/30 or 48/31)
Anyway, I’m going for the Advanced 1, regardless.

preacher-hallelujah.gif

Jameshow

Veteran
yeah 34 for long cage

You can use 36t - I do to 34/36.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The LBS is getting back to me with options, including swapping the rear cassette and derailllier, or as an alternative, swapping the front end to a GRX 46/30 chain and crank set.

Top Bottom