Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sloth

I am now seriously looking at a Giant Fastroad Advanced.
The frame looks good and the geometry appears to suit me also, (although in M or M/L I'm not 100% sure yet).
Also, although my level of ability will be well exceeded by these bikes, I would like to build in some 'future proofing' so I am not dissatisfied with the bike next year etc. as I improve and end up regretting not getting something better when I had the money. Eventually perhaps but not for a few years at least.

I am on the fence between a road biased set up (Shimano 105 2x11 - 34/50+11/34) and a gravel/hybrid 1x11 set up (Deore 5100 42+11/51).
For my style of riding (fitness only) and where I'll be riding (B roads/country lanes) I'm wondering if I will benefit more from the hill climbing low ratios of the 1x11, especially the super low 51t rear gear.
I'm not into speed racing or club/road racing etc, just keeping fit, trying to get up hills without having to get off and push and to not be 'spinning' along the flats or less steep decents on hills! I'm fine with resting my legs downhill on occasions though!

Anyway, why the 'Advanced'? Well it's a little lighter than the standard Fastroad SL1, has better spec and rims etc, but mainly because the frame will absorb shocks better and looks pretty darn nice as well!

So the dilema?
Well, I can get a new Advanced 2 within 2 weeks or so and have it adapted to a 1x11 Deore 5100 42+11/51, for around £1,700 - ride away.
That includes for the LBS keeping the Tiagra gear the bike comes with, and offsetting some of the cost against the new parts and workshop time etc.

or...

I can just order an Advanced 1 (around 8 weeks delivery) and keep it as standard, with the 105 34/50+11/34. This would cost around the same or a little less (£1,665) with a 10% discount.

or...

I can order the Advanced 2 and just keep it as standard on the 2x10 2x11 - 34/50+11/34 Tiagra set up.

Which would I find best for fitness and getting up hills?
Would the 1x11 be noticably better up hills? or will it spin out too much?
Will the 105 be noticably better than the Tiagra (smoothness/accuracy) and will it's 2x11 be noticably easier up hills than the Tiagra's 2x10?
Is it worth paying the extra for the 2x11 105 on the A1 over the Tiagra 2x10 on the A2 if I were sticking to the factory standard set ups?

Will (regardless of the groupset) simply having a better, lighter bike be much easier up hills than my previous 14kg Deore 3x9 27 speed MTB?

Of course, the A1 looks amazing in the blue but the A2 is no ugly duckling either.

Perhaps these dilemmas may seem daft to some more experienced cyclists, but as I'd be spending well north of £1k, up to £1,700 I really want to be sure.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Bearing in mind your previous posts and members responses I honestly think there's nothing that anyone on here can say to further make up your mind.
You're using it for leisure not for competition or commuting so I don't know why you're fussing over group sets etc.
You want to be sure, sure of what?

vickster

Legendary Member
If you have to get the carbon frame, just get Tiagra, cheaper, gearing is good for hills and you won't notice the difference vs. 105.
I'd be v surprised if you are a M/L at 5'8

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Bearing in mind your previous posts and members responses I honestly think there's nothing that anyone on here can say to further make up your mind.
You're using it for leisure not for competition or commuting so I don't know why you're fussing over group sets etc.
You want to be sure, sure of what?
Other than perhaps answering the questions posed?
I need no one to make up my mind, that's my job. I am simply serching for enough information and/or experienced opinions to help me do it.
I appreciate that you (some) may find my threads/posts irritating but respectfully, you can always just ignore them if you've nothing to add or can't answer the questions?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Okay so let's look at your questions:

Will (regardless of the groupset) simply having a better, lighter bike be much easier up hills than my previous 14kg Deore 3x9 27 speed MTB?
Yes.

Anyway, why the 'Advanced'? Well it's a little lighter than the standard Fastroad SL1, has better spec and rims etc, but mainly because the frame will absorb shocks better and looks pretty darn nice as well!
Answered by yourself.

Depends on the hills. For fitness no different.

Will the 105 be noticably better than the Tiagra (smoothness/accuracy) and will it's 2x11 be noticably easier up hills than the Tiagra's 2x10?
For fitness you won't notice.

Is it worth paying the extra for the 2x11 105 on the A1 over the Tiagra 2x10 on the A2 if I were sticking to the factory standard set ups?
Already been answered in previous posts.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

If you have to get the carbon frame, just get Tiagra, cheaper, gearing is good for hills and you won't notice the difference vs. 105.
Thanks Vickster, but is it as good as 1x11 (11/51)?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Me to, I thought I was a M all dy long on the Giant FR but I sat on a M (SL1) last night and the guy in the LBS thought it looked a little cramped up?
Put doubt in my mind. The cockpit did feel rather close to me, compared to the ML, but perhaps that's normal anyway?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Okay so let's look at your questions:

Yes.

Answered by yourself.

Depends on the hills. For fitness no different.

For fitness you won't notice.

Already been answered in previous posts.

Thanks appreciate your opinions.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I presume the only difference betweenthe Tiagra 10sp and the 105 11sp is one less gear somewhere around the middle of the cassette?
So the lowest climbing gear and highest gear are the same?

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I presume the only difference betweenthe Tiagra 10sp and the 105 11sp is one less gear somewhere around the middle of the cassette?
So the lowest climbing gear and highest gear are the same?

If the top and bottom of crankset and cassette the same, yes

vickster

Legendary Member
Me to, I thought I was a M all dy long on the Giant FR but I sat on a M (SL1) last night and the guy in the LBS thought it looked a little cramped up?
Put doubt in my mind. The cockpit did feel rather close to me, compared to the ML, but perhaps that's normal anyway?

How did it feel actually riding it?

Top Bottom