Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Couldn't ride it, it was a new showroom bike, and they were also about to close.

Go back and get them at least to put it on a turbo?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I cycle in a hilly area of the country, and like you, am not a racer.

I've often wished and prayed for a lower gear, but never been bothered by spinning out on downhills, or by gaps between gears and maintaining a particular cadence.

Those are my priorities, yours may be different.

My best bike from Spa has a 46/30 and an 11/40 cassette.

Good luck finding the right bike for you.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Me to, I thought I was a M all dy long on the Giant FR but I sat on a M (SL1) last night and the guy in the LBS thought it looked a little cramped up?
Put doubt in my mind. The cockpit did feel rather close to me, compared to the ML, but perhaps that's normal anyway?
Ignore what it looks like to someone else, it's how it feels to you that's important. As per @vickster , go back, get them to set it up on a turbo or similar and adjust it to your requirements to see if it's the right size. You may well be at the bottom end of the M/L sizing - as I said on your Whyte thread I tried this size when purchasing my Giant Rapid and found it too small even when adjusted to my height.
Personally, I'd go for the Advanced 1 if you can afford it.

Giant sizing charts usually show a range of heights (people measurements) with some over lap so either size with suitable.

Giant have sold millions of these - so to be honest I would trust them when they say either size will be ok. (You will be able to achieve a similar position on either size)

I am starting to sense a wind up on these series of threads though.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks, appreciate your opinions.
I’m not sure where the wind ups are though? I’d like to think not. :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Is this a special after market only mod, or do some bikes come with it?
Why brand are the components for it?
Thanks.

Spa Cycles build touring bikes to the buyer's wishes. I wanted something to get me up hills, so that's what they built me.^_^

Mine is Sora with a Sunrace 11/40 cassette.

Have a look at their website:okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I think I’m favouring the Advanced 1, in for a penny.
Just realised however, that both the Advanced bikes have carbon forks but alloy steerer.
I am surprised it’s not full carbon on a carbon frame bike and at that price point.
For example the Whyte Stirling was full carbon fork & steerer (albeit on an alloy frame).

Last edited:
Top Bottom