Giant Advanced 1 (standard 105 2x11) vs Advanced 2 (modified to 1x11) vs Advanced 2 (standard Tiagra 2x10)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
What do you expect the differences to be, bearing in mind you can always change cassettes with the Tiagra or 105 if you need a lower bottom gear for example?

There's a limit to how far you can go with Tiagra/105 to get a lower bottom gear by changing cassette.

To get the same bottom gear as the 1x (46 chainring, 51 sprocket) you'd need a 42T big sprocket on the 2x (34 chainring 42 sprocket would give equivalent gear)*

Will Tiagra go that far? I don't think it will. I think it has a max of 34. But I could be wrong.

When I did my searches a couple of years ago the lowest that 105 will go is 34/34 (and that's what I've got). At least, according to the specs. But people on here will probably point out that they've pushed it further.

* Provided I've got my sums right. Which is not guaranteed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Surely 34 is plenty for most hills? With a 34 on the front?

Depends entirely on the rider, and where they are riding. It's not an assumption I'd make.

Personally ... I'd like something lower and will probably fit a subcompact chainset next time I revamp my gearing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Depends entirely on the rider, and where they are riding. It's not an assumption I'd make.

Personally ... I'd like something lower and will probably fit a subcompact chainset next time I revamp my gearing.

He’s never really said other than his current bike is an ancient mountain bike

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
He’s never really said other than his current bike is an ancient mountain bike

Well one of his gearing options is a 42 plus 11-51 one-by. I'm just pointing out that Tiagra/105 can't match that for lowness of bottom gear. Not without doing weird things to it anyway, involving subcompact chainsets or wolf-tooth thingies.

Surely 34 is plenty for most hills? With a 34 on the front?

I'm considering swapping a clunky Praxis for one of those 46-30 GRX's on my gravel bike, I would definitely use 30-34 on the (very) lumpy stuff near me :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm considering swapping a clunky Praxis for one of those 46-30 GRX's on my gravel bike, I would definitely use 30-34 on the (very) lumpy stuff near me :smile:

When I did my last lot of research I figured that 34/34 was the lowest I could get for 105 and decided to live with it. But when my chainrings wear out I think I'll deffo go down the subcompact route to go a bit lower. I don't even ride anywhere super hilly and there are still quite a few hills where I can be in danger of grinding to a halt

(Thinking Yorkshill lane, Downe Rd Cudham, Hogtrough Hill ...)

vickster

Legendary Member
Once I’m incapable of getting up hills around me on my 34-34s, I’ll be going electric :whistle: (because joint pain not cycling ability will be the impediment by then!)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Some interesting points.
There may then be cheaper/easier ways to get lower gears than by changing the whole componant set?
So I could have a different (sub-compact?) front set fitted or get a wolf tooth road link derailleur hanger and fit a 11/36 cassette perhaps?

I get that a 34/34 (1:1) ratio is enough for most, but I am just getting started and want to ensure i don't get too disillusioned by having to keep getting off up some hills?

Also, I'm not wanting the hassle of second guessing my gear combo everytime I make a change, for fear of crosschain and avoiding ill advised gear combos etc? Thus my considering a 1x set up.

Most of you are great and patient, some of you are a little sarcastic and piss taking , please don't :stop:. I am not winding anyone up, I just want to learn and get it right. Over thinking? Perhaps, but genuine and desperate to get it sorted.

Thanks to those who genuinely want to help a newbie. :okay:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

To further explain, it's not super hilly where I cycle but there are a few, it is undulating.
However, I have historically made it up most of them, bar one, most, if not all the time so it's really just that one that always defeats me.
It was on an old 20 year old (14kg?) mountain bike with a 3x9 (27 speed) deore set up, (recently sold) and I only used the middle sprocket at the front (not sure how many teeth it had).
I suppose that any carbon, modern bike, be it 1x or 2x will feel infinitely faster, lighter and easier up hills than that old bike, but I got so used to struggling up that hill that I may have brainwashed myself into thinking I need an ultra-low gear set up.
However, the appeal of a 1x is not just in the low gear range, but also in the simplicity of not messing about with the front mech and having to think about it etc.
Sad truth is, I just don't want to think too hard about it when I'm riding.
I do enough of that when I'm deciding :okay::whistle:

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some interesting points.
There may then be cheaper/easier ways to get lower gears than by changing the whole componant set?
So I could have a different (sub-compact?) front set fitted or get a wolf tooth road link derailleur hanger and fit a 11/36 cassette perhaps?

I get that a 34/34 (1:1) ratio is enough for most, but I am just getting started and want to ensure i don't get too disillusioned by having to keep getting off up some hills?

Also, I'm not wanting the hassle of second guessing my gear combo everytime I make a change, for fear of crosschain and avoiding ill advised gear combos etc? Thus my considering a 1x set up.

Most of you are great and patient, some of you are a little sarcastic and piss taking , please don't :stop:. I am not winding anyone up, I just want to learn and get it right. Over thinking? Perhaps, but genuine and desperate to get it sorted.

Thanks to those who genuinely want to help a newbie. :okay:

I'm with you on seeking good low gears. As I said above, no one ever climbed a hill cursing the fact that they had one extra gear to spare. What one person confidently says is all that you could possibly ever need in a bottom gear, may be way too high for another person. There used to be a lot of gear-snobbery in cycling with low gears being for wimps but I think those days are past.

I would say that far too much fuss is made about cross-chaining being a terrible thing to be avoided at all costs. It's not ideal, sure, but it's not a big deal. It's something I (unintentionally) do regularly. All that happens is that maybe your rear mech makes a bit of a complaining noise and you rectify the situation pronto. So I wouldn't stress about that. Indeed SRAM advertise (or used to) that alll their gears are usable, in that you can ride in big-big with their blessing.

I think you really need to do a bit of riding before you figure out what's best for your legs and your hills. Maybe 34/34 will be fine for you. But the problem is you need to get the bike first. Catch 22. :wacko:

I certainly wouldn't start worrying about subcompacts and wolf-teeth right now. They are essentially bodges that you apply when you already have a bike but it's not quite what you want. Your aim is to try not to put yourself in that position.

Top Bottom