Giant Bicycle Assembly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
My lad had his bike up for sale a Giant TCR Advanced 2, he has not had a lot of interest and he needs the cash for a family holiday, so I have bought it of him to help him out, its a size too big for me, but will work with a shorter stem and compact bars.

While he has owned the bike he has never had a puncture or had the wheels off, the left crank fell off while he was riding the only conclusion I could come to was it wasn't tightened correctly on assembly.

Now to make the bike more user friendly for me, I have changed the cassette and tyres, on removing the rear wheel I thought there is something odd here, the derailleur hanger was the wrong way round ! the gears were working fine with it like this, I have put it the right way round, I had to shorten the frame to derailleur cable as well.

This bike was bought new from Tredz in 2020, so who assembles Giant Bikes ? the strange thing is the derailleur hanger has been on the right way as there are marks to show this.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Very weird and surprised it fastened correctly if it was back to front. Can't believe anybody at Giant did this so maybe the retailed installs hangars to avoid damage when shipping...?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sounds like a Friday afternoon bike. Poor QC at Giant. Should have been picked up at Tredz but I guess they suffer the same issues their tainted sibling suffers from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
If it had been on the correct was around the I suspect that maybe your son has taken it off at some point.
No he has never removed the wheels, the extra length of the frame to derailleur cable (needed as the mounting point is further forward when it was the wrong way round) is a clue to it being done from assembly, now it is on the right way I have shortened the cable, if I now put the hanger on the wrong way the cable won't reach.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
If you can see that it was the right way round at some point, my suspicion would be that it was assembled correctly, partially disassembled for shipping and then incorrectly put together by the reseller.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The shop is responsible for final checks before they hand it over. But as to who assembles I’d expect it to arrive assembled subject to turning bars round, pedals fitted by shop etc.

Top Bottom