Giant Compact - whats it worth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
ShinSplint said:
As said above, it is the top end model, of the middle range...

I think what your mate is getting at is that at the time, Giant's road range was summat like:
Peloton Series - entry level steel road bikes, level top tubes
OCR series - aluminium compact frames
TCR series - slightly fancier aluminium compact frames, with nicer bits to match

Hence your mate's description of "middle range".

The OCR series comprised in (ascending order of price) the OCR3, OCR2, OCR1 and OCR Team.

Hence your mate's description of "top end model".

RedBike

I'm just thinking - if the one on eBay is at £460... I should get my money back (£350) in the future should I want to sell it on.

I think the bike on ebay went for top money. It's not too surprising though. It's nice example of a branded name bike. Sadly I don't think you'll get that sort of money for the bike you're looking at. The ebay example looked like it was a LOT newer and a lot higher spec.

Sadly I still think £350 for an old OCR is slightly on the high side. This is probably a closer match http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-OCR-ROA...14&_trkparms=72:1688|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318
Although again it looks like its a better bike.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Well I bought it today. Still not sure of the model, just says Compact Road on the frame. Has some nice parts ie Selle Italia seat, Campag brakes.

Paid £250, so seems a good buy. I'll upload a pic tomorrow, maybe you guys can shed some light on it.

gavintc

Guru
£250 is a more realistic price for an oldish bike. You should not be surprised if you need brake blocks, new cassette and a new chain to bring it back to life. Ride and see what you think, but if you gear skip, you may need to think about taking it in for a service. This a common problem on 2nd hand bikes.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

Here it is!

Had a brief ride out and it seems fine. Slight squeak here and there, but only in certain gears, and nothing to worry about.

Problem is... frame is maybe too small... feels like im crouched forward slightly too much (compared to my mates Bianchi).

I'm thinking of getting an adjustable stem to raise the bars a touch. Are these expensive? And are they generic? i.e. are they all pretty much the same fitting/size?

Thanks for any help.

More to the point... do you think its worth £250??

Ah, another thing, it has clipless pedals - im thinking of buying Shimano R099 shoes. What type/model cleats would I need?

Sorry for all the questions - should I put the questions in another forum?

Thanks again :rolleyes:

RedBike

I'm thinking of getting an adjustable stem to raise the bars a touch. Are these expensive? And are they generic? i.e. are they all pretty much the same fitting/size?
It looks like you've already got an adjustable stem?
It also looks like the forks are the older threaded design so you can't fit a modern stem without using an ahead convertor.

More to the point... do you think its worth £250??
So long as you like it thats all that matters.

Ah, another thing, it has clipless pedals - im thinking of buying Shimano R099 shoes. What type/model cleats would I need?
I don't know what type of pedals they are. They look like an old Shimano spd-l type but it's really hard to tell from the photo. There are loads of different types of cleat and not all shoes are compatible with all cleats. I would wait until you find out which cleats you need before splashing out on the shoes. The Shimano R099 might not work with those pedals.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

thanks.

Out of interest, can anyone tell what model it is?

Maybe it just just named the "Compact Road" as per frame??

Landslide

Rare Migrant
It is the Giant OCR ONCE Team Edition.

Top Bottom