Giant Defy 1 2012 Wheel Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich9573

Regular
Hi All,

I have a Giant Defy 1 bike from 2012. I've been getting back into shape over winter and was thinking about upgrading my bike a bit.I don't have the money or ability yet to warrant a new bike and i only cycle with running for fitness. My main goal is to add some extra comfort and a bit of speed to encourage me to cycle more and more.

After looking at forums it seems that the wheel set are big weakness on this bike. I was wondering if you can recommend any wheel set to replace mine (700cc). I'm not looking to spend loads but in the region of £300 or where it is good value for money. And do you think it would be worth doing on my bike? When looking i was a bit confused as i have a disc break at the back but rim at the front. And i wasn't sure how this affect my choice.

With this i also might treat myself to getting continental grand prix 5000 road 25c tyres. My current tyres are 23c so should add some comfort and performance. Do you think i should go for these or something cheaper?

Thankyou all in advance if you want to know more about me i'm 70kg, 5 ft 7" and 29 years old :smile:

OP
OP
R

rich9573

Regular
Sorry was having a blank moment regarding the disc breaks. Both of my wheels are rim brakes.

chris-suffolk

If you're not already running a decent set of tyres, then that is probably a good route. Then if you still feel the need for better wheels, you can at least transfer the tyres over so you don't lose anything.

13 rider

Guru
My Defy runs 23mm tyres and they are pretty close to the frame ,do you clearence for 25mm tyres ?. Are you still on the original giant wheels ?

pb63

Veteran
Tyres and latex tubes could transform the ride. But you'd need to like pumping your tyres up before every ride as latex leaks air. Personally I don't see an issue with this and the benefits of latex, speed and comfort, far outweighs the inconvenience.

si_c

Guru
I'd go for a good set of tyres - Vittoria Corsa Controls in a tan sidewall for example :tongue: Sounds like your wheels have done fine up til now, but unless the brake track is overly worn I'd hold off replacing, spending up to £300 will get you a good set of wheels, but only a marginal upgrade that you wouldn't notice as much as tyres.

If you can hold off and get some nice deep section carbon wheels when the current ones wear out that would be my suggestion.

OP
OP
R

rich9573

Regular
Hi All, thanks for the replies.

On my bike i currently have Michelin pro 4 service course and i'm sure i have the space for 25mm wide (up from 23mm). So about time i changed them, thanks for the suggestion on tyres i'll be looking into them tonight and treat myself to a new set. Also thanks for the idea on latex tubes, think i'll give them ago as well :smile:

So all this will probably cost £100 for new tubes and tyres for my bike.

By bike wheels weight about 2kg. I guess i could easily save 300g off this. Anyway i think i will do the upgrade above and come back to the wheel upgrade. They work well enough and if i keep up with my training i'll treat myself :tongue:

Top Bottom