Giant Defy 2 2018 - tyre replacements

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bfgMedia

I thought this would be easy ... my Defy currently has 700*25c tyres on a 622-17 wheel. I am wanting to ride more on gravel surfaces and thought it would be easy to replace my Giant Gavia AC1 tyres for ones with a tread more suitable for gravel/road. I have spent over 2 days searching online for a suitable tyre and every time I think I've found one something doesn't seem to work. Has anyone fitted tubeless gravel/road tyres to their Giant Defy 2 2018 - if so please help me keep my sanity by suggesting a tyre which fits!

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Defy is a road specific bike, the question is clearance for a bigger tyre, I think gravel tyres are usually a minimum of 32mm. Do you have clearance under your Fork and behind your bottom bracket for both tyre and some additional clearance for crud clogging in wet conditions?

DRM

Guru
The images I’ve seen seem to suggest that there is no clearance for gravel tyres in the rear triangle between the seat stays, and it looks like they may also hit the front derailleur, I can’t really tell from the pictures what the clearance in the forks are, but as Spiderweb says, the sort of tyres you’re thinking of start at 32, with 33 mm being widely available for those who race cyclocross, as that size is the maximum allowed in UCI rules, then they can be from 38 to about 47mm, I don’t think you’ll have any success doing what you’re planning

OP
OP
B

bfgMedia

You are all confirming my suspicions. The max width between seat stays is around 35mm ... trying to find a tubeless tyre 622-28 or 622-30 ... with some off-road tread is proving near impossible. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.👍

Cymro74

I have an older Defy2 and tried 28mm marathons for the winter. There was a 1mm clearance of the brake mech which clogged in wet conditions. I am now back on the original 25mm tyres and will probably stay on these.

rivers

How far can I go?
I do indeed use and rate the cinturatos. They are decent enough for light off road use. I've used them on gravel roads and tracks and also a bit of dry single track. If you're looking for something with a bit of tread for heavier duty or muddy use, they aren't it. Excellent puncture protection as well- make a good commuter tyre. I think Pirelli developed them for use on roads similar to the Strade Bianchi.

DRM

Guru
You are all confirming my suspicions. The max width between seat stays is around 35mm ... trying to find a tubeless tyre 622-28 or 622-30 ... with some off-road tread is proving near impossible. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.👍
Did you measure at the top of the seat stays? I think at that point you’ll have maybe 3 to 4mm tops, each side of the tyre, also a wider tyre will hit the bottom bracket shell, you’ll need extra room as well to allow clearance for a build up of mud off road, I’m certain that a 25 mm is as big as you can fit on the Defy

Top Bottom