Giant Defy 2.5 Components

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Defy

Hi all, I need to replace chain, cassette and rear mechanism on my old Defy 2.5. The mechanism says Shimano Tiagra and the cassette is 9 speed. I can't seen any other markings. I understood the difference was 2.5 had Tiagra gear and 3.5 only had Sora but I don't really know what that means.

Does anybody know if it is still possible to buy the original gear or what would be the direct current equivalent? Especially is there a model or part number I should be looking for?

I can only find Sora 9 speed. Tiagra cassettes all seem to be 10 speed. Can I mix and match Tiagra and Sora components?

Thank you for your help. Guy

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all, I need to replace chain, cassette and rear mechanism on my old Defy 2.5. The mechanism says Shimano Tiagra and the cassette is 9 speed. I can't seen any other markings. I understood the difference was 2.5 had Tiagra gear and 3.5 only had Sora but I don't really know what that means.

Does anybody know if it is still possible to buy the original gear or what would be the direct current equivalent? Especially is there a model or part number I should be looking for?

I can only find Sora 9 speed. Tiagra cassettes all seem to be 10 speed. Can I mix and match Tiagra and Sora components?

Thank you for your help. Guy
Yes. You can also use SRAM with Shimano :okay: It’s the speed that needs to match. Buy whichever is best value with the gear ratios you want

spec says 12-25 9 speed cassette
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/giant/defy-2-5-2009

which SJS have
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cassettes/1125-shimano-cshg50-9-speed-cassette/
Plus a chain
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains/sram-pc971-9-speed-chain-114-links-silver/

for the rear mech, you do need 9 speed Shimano, I assume Sora would do the trick but someone more clued up will confirm (or ask your LBS). Or get a used identical one off eBay

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
Round the time the Defy model moved from 2.5 to 3.5, Shimano moved its Tiagra offering from 9sp to 10sp, and at the same time filled the now vacant 9sp slot with its 'new' Sora (was 8sp). And Claris came along to fill in behind (8sp).
(New) Sora items will be fine, and as good as or better than the (old 9sp) Tiagra that it's replacing.
SRAM chains (9sp for you) are better than Shimano, if only because they come with a 'powerlink' so no trying to push a pin through.
I use Shimano cassettes - I've tried others but, at 9sp, the premium is minimal and the manufacturing quality assured.
Why do you feel the need to replace the Tiagra (RD-4500?) rear derailleur? They go on and on, unless they get 'bent' and even then it's often the hanger which needs replacing and/or attention paid to hanger/rear mech alignment. Replacement (new) = Sora, long cage GS. Old: Tiagra RD-4400, 4500 or even old old 105 5500.

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The good news is the current Shimano Sora 3000 series is 9 speed and compatible with tiagra 9 speed components, you can replace your rear derailleur with a shimano sora 3000 derailleur.

Top Bottom