Giant Defy Sizing Q.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaaaaaamie

Not sure if this is the right forum. If not, feel free to move it mods.

I am 5' 7.5" with a 31" inseam, and this puts me slap bang between the S and M sizes according to Giant's chart:

nUr1pKW.png

What would the common consensus be here? Go for the small, and lengthen via the stem if needed, or go for a M and fit a shorter stem?

Also, what sizes are people riding? Just to give me a general idea.

Going to try and get down to LBS over the weekend to have sit on some, but figured I would pose the question while I am on hold with my insurance company. :biggrin:

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Go smaller, add a longer stem if needed

But definitely test ride (if only on a turbo)

I am almost 5'10, albeit female with longer legs (34") and a shorter torso relatively. I sat on a 2012 Defy which felt huge (bars too wide, stem to long). I ended up with a medium Avail, equivalent I think to a small defy in terms of TT length. I do hate being stretched out though, suffered chronic tennis elbow, one of the culprits was a too big bike

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Giant Defy's are a compact bike - I have a medium but it looks like a small. You need to try both!

Cyclist33

Not sure if this is the right forum. If not, feel free to move it mods.

I am 5' 7.5" with a 31" inseam, and this puts bang between the S and M sizes according to Giant's chart:

nUr1pKW.png

What would the common consensus be here? Go for the small, and lengthen via the stem if needed, or go for a M and fit a shorter stem?

Also, what sizes are people riding? Just to give me a general idea.

Going to try and get down to LBS over the weekend to have sit on some, but figured I would pose the question while I am on hold with my insurance company. :biggrin:

My reading of that chart is that it puts you firmly in the S size. You'll need to try before you buy. Ignore the size charts or comparisons to other brands. The geometry charts are what you need to look at.

I'm 5'11" - long in leg - ride a M/L with a stem 10cm shorter than the stock build.

OP
OP
Jaaaaaamie

Jaaaaaamie

Cheers for the replies. As mentioned, will be trying to have a go on some this weekend. Only issue is, if I go for a small, it will be a long old wait for the stock in the model I am after to come in.

Them's the breaks, I guess.

vickster

Legendary Member
Which one is it? Ash cycles have reduced 2014 models, possibly including the small one

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
If you go by the sizing chart, you'd probably be OK on either size. It's a matter of personal preference and all will become clear when making a comparison between the two. You'll feel more "at home" on one of them. Don't buy the wrong size just because it's available quicker!

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have the defy 2 small.
Definitely try them both.
I am 5' 6 1/2" with 29" inside leg.
The seat is already high/extended and I need to raise it another 1/2".
Note that they have a funny/unique handlebar stem so you cannot simply raise it to match the saddle height.

BUT........a great bike. Far mor responsive to the Ribble I had (and I thought that was good).

OP
OP
Jaaaaaamie

Jaaaaaamie

How about one of these in small at a big discount? http://paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p6155/GIANT-TCR-ADVANCED-2-2014

Thanks for the link, Vickster. Although, I am now not sure if I will be after a small.

I Popped into the local Giant store earlier, and had a sit on a S and a M. Small felt perfect reach wise, but for the seat to be brought up to where I needed it, I would have been tipped quite far forward. So imagine a lot of weight on the wrists. Well, this was what was theorised by the guys in the shop, and it made sense.

They had a medium Defy Advanced 2 as a demo, and rode that round the carpark. It felt good, maybe would benefit from a 90mm stem, but I wasn't locked out in the arms or anything.

Long and short of it, I could probably do either reach wise, but the small would have me quite low down at the front. To the point I would be better of getting a TCR, probably!

...either way, the Advanced 2 is a lovely looking bike:

t63ElxS.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom