Giant E Bike: chain and cassette need replaced too often?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.Homer

Hi allafter some help new to asking for help as i am a car tech and thought i knows it all lol my giant e bike eats chains and rear cassettes like 500 miles and 9 th gear is dead chain slips and the teeth are totally knackered came as standard with a SHIMANO Cassette 9 Speed, Electric CSHG200 9134 and 116 link chain i have gone through 3 of these and now this time gone for a cshg400 but 3000 miles from new and 5 chains 4 cassettes seems a bit much what would you fit ???

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What do you call 9th gear, is it the smallest cog on the cassette?
If it is then I suspect you might be riding in the one gear most of the time and letting the e-assistance keep you moving when really you should be changing to an easier gear.
Putting all that strain through only 1 small gear is a recipe for a short lifespan.

OP
OP
Paul.Homer

Paul.Homer

that was my thoughts but as i live in Peterborough there are not many hills yes i do use 9th 11 tooth gear mostly but i also ride a lot without Battery power i purchased the bike Feb 2018 when i was 23 stone as a weight loss aid now down to 17 stone and ride it like a bike its bloody heavy and hard work

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
that was my thoughts but as i live in Peterborough there are not many hills yes i do use 9th 11 tooth gear mostly but i also ride a lot without Battery power i purchased the bike Feb 2018 when i was 23 stone as a weight loss aid now down to 17 stone and ride it like a bike its bloody heavy and hard work
Maybe a bigger chainring is the answer so your ideal gear is closer to the middle of the cassette. Gives you the opportunity to use more of the gears and a bigger sprocket will wear better.

Blimey. What size is the chainring if you use the 11 so much ??

If you were in the 22 sprocket it would last twice as long if not more

iluvmybike

Über Member
E-bikes do need chain & cassette changing more frequently than a non ebike. It is one of the things you have to factor in when buying one - ongoing maintenance will be higher. It is important to keep the front ring in good condition too.

OP
OP
Paul.Homer

Paul.Homer

yep i wanted to change the chainring but its a mid mount motor with a stupid built in guard so i cant go up or down as for 9th/11 tooth i rode about 15 miles this morning without power assist and maybe spent 1mile in 4/5 and 1/2 mile in 1st 34 tooth steep hill i know its not fast but i averaged 12 mph on a bike that weights as much as a moped lol and that i think is the biggest issue i think i need a carbon steel 11 tooth sprocket lol

OP
OP
Paul.Homer

Paul.Homer

boydj

Legendary Member
Pedal faster in lower gears?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hey Paul, way to go on the weight loss :okay:

Maybe your e-bike has served it's purpose and it is time to swap to an unassisted bike? A lighter bike with a more suitable gear range might be better for your current requirements now you are fitter and lighter?

What kind of riding do you do? It might also be advantageous to pick a bike without the suspension forks and seatpost if your riding is on the road or good paths. Suspension is often less than ideal unless tackling rougher mtb type terrain.

OP
OP
Paul.Homer

Paul.Homer

Thanks all i am today going to take out a normal bike amate has similar bike but no motor Paragon Python 21

gbb

Legendary Member
E-bikes do need chain & cassette changing more frequently than a non ebike. It is one of the things you have to factor in when buying one - ongoing maintenance will be higher. It is important to keep the front ring in good condition too.
I've idly wondered about this.
My rear hub drive Carrera is just on its second chain at around 3k miles.
That seems ok to me and I wondered if mid drives eat chains quicker by virtue of the design.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I wondered if mid drives eat chains quicker by virtue of the design
Since a rear hub drive motor will provide power directly and without affecting chain tension, I'd think this highly likely.
This was my first thought (why the chain life had been so poor) as soon as the OP revealed in post #7 that their e-bike had a "a mid mount motor".

Drago

Legendary Member
Mid drive ones do. Hub drive, like for like with other 1 x 8/9/10 arrangements, are no different to normal.

Top Bottom