Giant Escape M 0 2009 vs. R1 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pb63

Veteran
Hi I’m having trouble deciding on which of these 2 bikes I should go for. Both are within £10 of each other at £389 and £399 at Ashcycles and I’m not sure which one would suit me more. The bike is mainly for weekend use – with some short to medium trips planned – mainly shorter trips under 20 miles with nothing more than 50 miles predominantly road but with the odd light trail.

The Giant Escape M 0 - Zero 2009 has better gears I think with Shimano Deore shifters, front and rear mech, but the Giant Escape R1 2009 - Medium and Large has the bigger 700cc wheels which would no doubt benefit over the longer distance.

Which one should I plump for?? Views greatly appreciated…I’m going blind!

p.s. I’ve also seen a Giant CRS 1.0 Gents 2009 for £429 this has the bigger wheels – should this also be considered as an alternative?

I recently had my M0 nicked and I loved it and miss it.
The gears and brakes are better and easier to get parts for on the M0 than on the R1, which has Giants own brakes.
The gearing on the M0 was easy to cruise at 20+ with a downhill top speed of between 35 and 40mph due to the large front chainring.

The 700c wheels of the R1 'should in theory' roll better than the 26" of the M0, but as I could happily keep up with most rioad bikes on the semi slicks the M0 came with, I really doubt it in practice. Also, the M0 wheels were very robust and still true after a year of jumping off sleeping policemen at speed.

My boss has a Giant R1, the only way in which I think it is better than the M0 is the darker paintjob...get the M0, you won't regret it.

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Thanks 2loose that’s useful info. esp. about availability of parts with regards to the brakes.

I’ve never owned a disc brake bike before - Are the discs on the M0 robust? What’s the life time of the pads?

It’s a shame they never offered a 700cc version of the m0 as this is the only point I’m hesitant on…

Pads lasted me about 2500 miles before I changed them and that was very early judging by what I saw once I had them out. I think they would have done 3k+ easily tbh.
They cost a tenner a pair to replace, although you can get them cheaper, or alternatively if you replace them with Avid ones, about 15 quid a pair.
rolleyes.gif

As for the 700c wheels being better over longer distances, I can't say, but I have done a couple of 65 mile rides on my old M0 - the first one got me to buy some stubby bar ends for a change of hand position and comfort, the second was no problem at all with an average speed of over 17mph for that distance, so the slicks work!

The 26 inchers also give you the option of changing the slicks for knoblies(?) if you fancy some fun in the mud at a later date.

I hope that helps.

Just a thought, Summerdays also has one - I wonder if there is anything she would like to add, positive or negative.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have an M0 as does Piemaster too. I love mine though it doesn't have the quietest of brakes I've found usually when it starts raining. I love disk brakes - reliable stopping, no really filthy rims, don't have to keep adjusting etc. As I've never owned a bike with 700 wheels I can't really comment. I have replaced the pads a couple of times but I brake a lot and live in a vaguely hilly city - on the other hand I would have replaced v-brake pads loads of times over the same time period.

chugsy

The difference in spec is worth far more than a tenner so it's a no brainer in my opinion!  I got my R1 for £300 at JEJames so I reckon it's a little overpriced here.  Also, after making the move to 700c tyres I haven't really made any speed gains due to poor road conditions around my way... crashing over lumps and potholes simply isn't an option anymore :|

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Thanks for your input guys. between the R1 And the M0 I think I'm convinced now that the M0 is a better proposition in terms of the better equipment you get for relatively little extra outlay.

I think I'm still trying to make my mind up on whether to go for a more road orientated bike. I'm thinking 80-90% of riding will be on the road - although i don't want a drop handle bar bike. I've also seent he 2009 FCR range by giant - most notably the FCR3 and 2.

What do you guys think between these and the M0? What are the benefits/disadvantages between the 2 types of bikes?

I must confess to having the same sorts of thoughts before I got my M0.

The FCR's are ultimately faster on road due to closer ratio gears, thinner high pressure road tyres and lighter weight.
Less robust due to thin wheels and light weight frame, rim brakes which are not as good in the wet as disks.
Also, the close-ish ratio cassette means that big hills are not going to be as easy to get up...if you have any near you.

Can have rack and mudguards if you want.

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
I'm glad I'm not the only one to have had the same conundrum between the M0 and FCR's. Looking at FCR specs and prices I think it would have to be the FCR3 - don't think I can justify £490 for the FCR 2 unless anyone has seen it cheaper in a medium frame anywhere else?

hmm...I think I'll have to sleep on this again...

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Update: Well in the end I've decided to go with an FCR2 2009 model. I figured the extra outlay wasn't that much different and I'm sorry to say this but the M0's paint scheme didn't really do much for me being battle ship grey... I'm hoping FCR2 will go as good as it looks!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes I would definitely agree about the colour of the M0 - it almost made me go for a cheaper one in the range - though I've had people come up to me and say its a nice bike too.

I hope you enjoy your new bike - how long to do have to wait for it to arrive?

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Well I ordered it last thing on Friday so I'm hoping I'll get the depatch email tomorrow and it should arrive Wednesday or Thursday... Really looking forward to it! It'll be like christmas and I've already thought of a few routes to take it on near where I live.I've wanted something a bit more set up for road for so long!

I'm sure the M0 looks great in the flesh. I think in the end it was the road biased'ness of the FCR which was the thing which made me go for it not just the cool paint job and frame

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
Well a quick update. My FCR 2 arrived from Ashcycles a couple of weeks ago and so far I’ve managed to get out on it a few times – mainly shorter rides. I’ve fitted a Strada wireless computer which I’m very happy with and also gone and got my first helmet – a Giro indicator which fits well and hopefully will never be tested! (touch wood)

My first few outings I wondered how much faster this bike was than my traditional mountain bike – I was shocked! According to my computer on a nice smooth flat I can get to around 23mph and on one downhill road I managed 36.6mph without really trying. So hence I felt the need for a helmet. On the weekend just gone I cycled over to my inlaws which was 10 miles there and 10 miles back. I was a bit disappointed with the outward journey only averaging around 14.5mph however, after a refuel on the return I managed 16.9 mph average. I’ve since looked at the gradient of the journey and seen that it was definitely more up hill on the outward journey! It felt it as well!

Anyhow in conclusions – I’m really happy with the bike itself. It’s certainly the quickest I’ve been on 2 wheels. It did take a little time to get set up – gears were an issue which I concede I did take to my LBS to get sorted. Oh, and I also needed to get a new pump for the presta valves. But other than I’m looking forward to getting back out on it before the evenings become darker…

Top Bottom