Giant own brand wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have a giant defy 4 that comes as standard with giants own brand wheels the PR3's

they seem quite heavy and hard to get upto speed on them.

what would be a good upgrade option within the £150 price range?

thanks

fossala

Guru
Mavic aksiums.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

has anybody run a set of supra ra24's - currently on sale at merlins for £100

U

User6179

If you could stretch your budget then fulcrum 5s £185 from jejames, a bit better than the aksiums IMO , have aksiums the now and wish I had bought another set of fulcrum 5s after having to true the back aksium wheel at 500 miles, fulcrums didnt need trueing till after 5000 miles.
Aksium are still good value but the fulcrums are better value IMO

OP
OP
J

jowwy

ok so ive narrowed it down to these 3 wheelsets

supra ra24's - £100 merlin cycles

shimano r501's - £75 rose cycles

shimano rs10's - £105 rose cycles

r501's are winning cause of price, which would you choose.

amaferanga

Veteran
Hard to get up to speed? Compared to what? I thought the expression was only ever used in daft magazines like Cycling Plus.

I think you're deluding yourself if you think spending £150 on some new wheels will make any difference whatsoever. If you want new wheels that just look better though then just about any factory wheels will look better than the stock wheels on your bike.

What tyres do you have? Tyres and tyre pressure can make far more difference than wheels IMO.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Hard to get up to speed? Compared to what? I thought the expression was only ever used in daft magazines like Cycling Plus.

I think you're deluding yourself if you think spending £150 on some new wheels will make any difference whatsoever. If you want new wheels that just look better though then just about any factory wheels will look better than the stock wheels on your bike.

What tyres do you have? Tyres and tyre pressure can make far more difference than wheels IMO.
gatorskins at 110psi

and beleive me the wheels are heavy, front wheel is 1550g with tyre and tube, so take away 295g for the tyre and 50g for the tube and you get 1200g for a front wheel alone.

Basil.B

Guru
Doubt you would notice the difference.
Save your money and keep the wheels you got.

amaferanga

Veteran
You've got slow, heavy tyres. Get some Michelin Pro 3 or Pro 4 and some decent lightweight tubes. That'll make more difference than swapping to something like Aksiums.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

You've got slow, heavy tyres. Get some Michelin Pro 3 or Pro 4 and some decent lightweight tubes. That'll make more difference than swapping to something like Aksiums.
heavy tyres?? theres only 90grammes difference between pro4's and gators.

Cyclist33

jowwy, exactly what giant wheels are you on and what are their weights without tyres and tubes n skewers?

so as i can compare...

ta

stu

OP
OP
J

jowwy

jowwy, exactly what giant wheels are you on and what are their weights without tyres and tubes n skewers?

so as i can compare...

ta

stu
giant sr-2 wheels

front 1050 without skewer
rear 1250 without skewer

chris

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have just changed the Giant S-R2 /Shimano hubbed wheels on my 2011 Defy 2. Without cassette, tyres or skewers the rear weighs 1150g and the front 914g.

I bought the Mavic/Shimano 105 wheels advertised on here which feel like lovely quality. The weights are 1057g rear and 845g front, so I've only saved 162g.

But they feel really good !

Hi Jowwy,
Though there are many a more experienced person on this site to advise you I'll drop my little bit of wisdom your way :biggrin:.
Personally I'd leave the Aksiums alone as I've gone through a shops entire stock looking for a pair with a decent rim joint and all of them where crap!
Fulcrum 5's are a great wheel and can be found in your budget range, Shimano wise I'd go for the rs20's they are lighter than the rs30's and better than the rs10's and can be had for £123 online from a very reputable dealer that sounds like rubble :biggrin:

What do I run? I've got a set of Giant PSL1's after the standard rear wheel on my Forme Reflex locked up at speed and destroyed itself. The PSL1 is a great wheelset if you can get it cheaply (retail at over £220 I think). If you have a Giant LBS near you see if anyone has bought a bike with PSL1's and then upgraded leaving the originals in the shop as you should be able to get them for a bargain? Just and idea.

Given that you seem to want to stay at the lower end of the budget though, give the RS20's a go?

It's not all about the weight of the wheel but "where" that weight is? Hub or Rim ? what bearings it's running on etc.

I suppose the most important part to think about is how cool they look :biggrin:

Top Bottom