Giant Propel - Slight Customisation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I got a terrific deal on a 2017 Giant Propel in December 2019. Whilst this is by no means a project/modification thread to the level of others, I have got the bike to stage where I am happy with how it is.

It started life as a Giant Propel 2 with full Shimano 105. The manufacturer replaced the frame with a '0' frame so it was a nice bonus. Upon collection the bike looked like this;

49218369941_5bf73043ff_k.jpg

Work to date;
  • Pro-Lite A42W tubeless ready wheelset change
  • 25mm Continental Gatorskin Tyres & Schwalbe Inner Tubes
  • Giant Trinity bottle cage
  • Giant Trinity 500ml water bottle (an aero bike deserves a proper aero bottle)
  • Mini pump replacing the water bottle holder on the down tube
  • Fizik Aliante saddle
  • Clear protective wrap of all major frame parts to prevent any future paint chips (on the unmarked frame)
  • Zefal Mirrors
  • Full check over and service as needed by CycleServe
  • (typical premium front/rear lights, garmin edge 25 and garmin holder with integrated mount for Garmin Virb)
After some thought, I am not going to go ahead with a SRAM wifi Etap or Shiamno DI2 conversion on this bike. It looks and rides exceptionally plus, there is a lot to be said for conventional cable driven mechanicals. I will, however be looking for another bike with DI2 or SRAM's equivalent to add to the stable as the Trek is going this week.

49604446701_16c2020d48_k.jpg

49603942948_7f88440f0d_k.jpg

49603943483_52fa8592ca_k.jpg

Gunk

Guru
Very nice, beautifully clean and detailed bike.

Reactions: DSK

Gazjacko

Mirror! NO! The rest is brilliant . I have had a set of Pro-Lites and they were great, very robust and the graphics really set the bike off.
What make is your rear light , as I have had trouble finding one that seats properly on an aero post.?

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I know mirrors are controversial but, I wouldn't ride my motorbike or car without them, same for bike. I personally find them very valuable.

Rear light is a USB Cateye from amazon for about £18 IIRC. It's just perfect for the aero seat post but, its seriously impressive as the reflectors etc inside really do make the light spread/brightness/wide range, overall functionality very effective. (It can be fitted horizontally or vertically).

49218369916_d3b41e0776_k.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

I was always going to keep the Propel but, I was keeping an eye out in the classifieds but no DI2 propels in my size (L/XL) and a sensible colour were coming up.

I decided to keep the modified Giant TCR Advanced with Di2 as my 'wet bike' (yeah right, more like cloudy day bike) and go all out on the Propel as its a beast and it has the 0 model frame which is built for di2 from the factory. So the following has been ordered;

- Shimano Ultegra R8050 Di2 upgrade kit
- Di2 Propel grommets and battery holder
- Shimano Ultegra R8000 52/36 crankset
- Shimano Ultegra R8000 11/28 cassette
- Bontrager Aero handle bars
- Wipperman Gold 11 speed chain
- Kinetic-1 K42-TL wheelset (x2) (I'll put the pro-lite's onto the TCR).

Just need to find and buy;

- aero stem that won't break the bank (suggestions welcome!)
- bottoms bracket just for the sake of it
- bar tape
- brake cables

This section of the forum is just simply lovely and bloody dangerous :B) !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

95% of the stuff arrives next week leaving the non essential items like a stem/bar tape.

Weather is good next week so will be riding all week, than after that, perhaps book a day or so off the following week.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Parcels have started to arrive!

All purchased from a small bike shops, Colyford Cycles (exceptional service) supplied everything but the wheels/tyres and handle bars. Handlebars came from PedalOn and Probikekit. Tyres were from Sigma.

Ultegra R8050 DI2 Groupset - new 52/36 chainset, ultegra 11-28 cassette, wipperman gold chain, bb71 bottom bracket
50090241086_a8c257fc27_z.jpg

Bottom Bracket Tool
50090240911_00f58b3624_z.jpg

Aero Handlebars (Bontrager Alloy / Easton EC70 carbon). I'm going with the Easton's. Both have a compact drop and I can just fit my shizzle either side of the stem. Oh, white bar tape is a must!
50090239146_ab85109201_z.jpg

50090247061_e9d0cd7315_z.jpg

2 sets of new Kinetic-One K1-42TL wheelsets
50089672248_a3e86cb744_z.jpg

Used as new Giant PSLR wheelset which was original on the Giant Propel 0
50090230916_f5f1ac33b2_z.jpg

Tyres
50089666238_6440f688bb_z.jpg

Still waiting for Giant to deliver the damn Di2 grommets and battery holder, if that doesn't arrive, I'll use the battery holder from the TCR.

Looking at taking a day off on Friday.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Colyford Cycles were exceptional. Someone to speak to on the end of the phone at all times! Very patient, having a vast experience, they were happy to advise and just make things happen. I originally got the Di2 upgrade kit, then just thought, pah, 50/34 doesn't work for me, so ordered up a 52/36 crankset, may as well get a an ultegra cassette whilst I'm at it, add a Wipperman Gold chain and a Shimano BB71, all came in a touch less than the big boys for just a groupset! Colyford Cycles is a little cycle cafe/shop so more than happy to give them business even if it had turned out to cost a little more than the big boys. They had to create custom products for me on the website so I could pay and this was done efficiently with great communication throughout. As a result of their quality service, they are now my go-to bike shop.

Kinetic-One have a sale on due to Covid. Again spoke to Andy, who was very patient, allowed me to think with no pressure selling but took information from me that no other wheel builder or off the shelf wheels could cater for. Andy assured me that his wheels would do what 'I' want them, to do and they are built to order. So thought, pah, get 2 sets. Very happy with the wheels on first glance and I'm sure they will live upto my expectations.

The new propels have aero bars and as its a weapon of an aero bike, I thought, minus the stem, lets try an find a set of aero bars with a more compact drop that don't cost silly money. Nothing came up on the used market, then I thought, do I want to risk a set of used carbon bars? A few days of searching and I found the Easton EC70, in my size, in stock with ProBike kit at the lowest price, so pulled the trigger. (Ordered Sunday night 11pm ish, delivered Monday morning!). I had already bought the Bontrager Alloy Aero bars so those were just lying around for a few months.

The PSLR Giant wheelset just happened to come up, spoke to the seller and agreed the deal, just need to collect them next week but, nice to add them as that is what the Giant Propel 0 came with as standard.

Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
Nice to hear a shout out for smaller independent businesses, I always try and buy from a LBS if I can, they need supporting.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Colyford Cycles are at the other end of the country. They had what I wanted advertised on Ebay. I don't buy of Ebay but, they listed their contact details clearly. A couple reviews and Googling later I gave them a call and wow... a true throw back to the good old days of just straight forward and ethical service.

Top Bottom