Giant Roam 0 Hybrid Servicing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Giant Roam 0 has done 500 miles. I noticed today when I was washing it that the chain is rubbing on the front deraileur. I tried following a GCN YouTube video but I wasn't able to fix it myself. Fortunately, I got a £50 government Fix Your Bike voucher last week. I've booked a service with my LSB. The rear brakes seem to need new pads as they are making a noise and performing poorly.

I was wondering what else needs doing. It is 5 years old my winter bike so 75% of the usage has been in cold and often wet weather. It has never been serviced before.
Does the bottom bracket and headset need attention eg re-greasing? From what I've read gear cables can become stretched but usually they are only need to be replaced after around 5000 miles.

Many thanks!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
A good bike shop should check for any problems and attend to them. Your BB is likely a sealed unit so will be replaced if needed, unlikely at 500m. Headset shouldn’t need any attention. Good idea to replace the gear/brake ables after that length of time so maybe ask the shop to make sure they do that.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I agree with our esteemed friend from Accra; New cables (they can rust) and new brake blocks, check and adjust the drivetrain, that's probably it. They'll look at everything else though and will let you know but I can't see it needing any other parts or much attention.
Ive got a 12 year old Trek that's never once had a service, just brake blocks and tyres and an occasional clean and lube.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You can probably get away with just the inners (unless frayed, damaged or cracked outers). No idea about cost in UK but I'm sure someone else can give you an idea but I think it might be over fifty quid including the other stuff :sad:

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It'll be roughly between 10 and 20 pounds for the gear cables themselves, that includes inner and outer (and exact cost depends on what the shop uses), and then the labour charge on top which would maybe be a tenner if the job was done on its own. Brake cables might or might not need doing so about the same again if so. You can half the cost of the parts if you go with cable inners only.

It depends on so much, some of our suggestions might not be needed so get it assessed first and go from there. If there are several jobs need doing then the labour will be lumped into one smaller sum i.e. it might be an hour's labour all in. If you're concerned about cost, just tell them cost is an issue and they'll understand. Mention you have the voucher, if that's your limit. I think they should be able to get it running much more nicely and reliably for about 50.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Giant Roam 0 500 miles, 75% of the usage has been in . . .wet weather 5 years old
rear brakes . . . are making a noise and performing poorly.
what else needs doing. It has never been serviced
Does the bottom bracket and headset need attention eg re-greasing?
Do both the inner and outer gear and brake cables need replacing.
I recommend:
Check brakes/pads both front and back, and expect to replace rear brake pads, and adjust. (15 minutes) The brake cables should not need replacing but worth checking whether any strands have parted where the cables are clamped.
Replace gear cables both inner and outer (the former DO NOT stretch, they are stainless steel; the latter deteriorate with use and weather/wet and often rust a bit, causing friction, to the detriment of effective, accurate shifting, so after five years, just do it). Re-index. 20 minutes.
I'd leave the headset and BB be - you've only done 500 miles and there are no symptoms suggesting attention is merited.
Cost will depend on what pads you choose and the per hour rate your LBS charges. I would expect you to have to pay a bit more beyond the £50 voucher for the parts plus labour.

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
Just collected my bike from the LBS. The brakes cables didn't needed replacing but two spokes on the rear were broken at the nipple. I couldn't work out what was causing the rub on the rear mudguard. New gear cables, brake pads and gears re-indexed. I paid £20 in addition to the £50 voucher. Bike felt so nice to ride home from the LBS. Gear changing is so clean and smooth. Everything super quiet now. :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom