Giant Roam or ToughRoad - Opinions Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemesis_252

Über Member
I cast my mind back several years, when I was looking for advice on my first bike (a third-hand Carrera Subway) and I was told I'd soon get the bug and upgrade. Well, here I am, now looking for my third (and although not final, certainly long-term) ride.

I'm currently on a 2013 Roam 4, and I like it. There are a few things I'd like to change/upgrade, but as one of them is the frame size, I'm looking at a new bike.

Because I like my Roam 4, I was looking at the Roam 0. However after visiting the local Giant shop, they've shown me a ToughRoad SLR 2, and now I'm utterly confused, as they're so similar yet so different.

I use my bike for everything from the occasional 15 mile commute on the road, to cycle routes (I've got C2C and another 130+ miler both planned for the summer), to forest tracks and fields. Both have good and bad points, depending on the terrain I'll be on.

I haven't ridden the ToughRoad yet; I plan to head back for the obligatory car park test, however I don't think that'll tell me what I want to know.

I'm open to any opinions please (even those who think I'm mad for even considering another Roam!). I'm also open to suggestions for similar bikes.

Looking forward to someone being able to make it all a little clearer.

Cheers,
Michael

OP
OP
N

Nemesis_252

Über Member
No comments from anyone? :sad:

jamma

Über Member
Have a test ride of both see which one you like the most?

Had the same problem when i looked at the propel and the staff at my local giant store showed me the tcr two bikes which do the same thing but i eventually got the propel due to it beign more practible i.e ride on flat routes and doing local club time trails

OP
OP
N

Nemesis_252

Über Member
Have a test ride of both see which one you like the most?

Had the same problem when i looked at the propel and the staff at my local giant store showed me the tcr two bikes which do the same thing but i eventually got the propel due to it beign more practible i.e ride on flat routes and doing local club time trails
Thanks Jamma. I fully intend to get back and feel the fizz between my legs ;)

In the meantime, the Roam often seems to be readily dismissed by many, but I'm not sure why.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Toughroad seems to resemble a flat-bar CX with MTB gearing. It should be a good bit lighter than the Roam without that suspension fork. Unless you're in proper mountain bike territory, the fork is not essential.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Toughroad seems to resemble a flat-bar CX with MTB gearing. It should be a good bit lighter than the Roam without that suspension fork. Unless you're in proper mountain bike territory, the fork is not essential.

Agreed Mike, a sus fork at this price point adds weight but very little else.

Even if if does give a tiny bit of comfort, the Toughroad has podgier tyres so the ride could be tuned by air pressure.

Drago

Legendary Member
Two quite different machines, and we can't decide which you will enjoy the most.

Go ride them both, buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
image.jpeg

Top Bottom