Giant SCR 3 or 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am about to purchase a Giant SCR 3 or 4 any thoughts or experiences of either bike, its mainly for riding around the lanes weekends or when I am not at work. I am 6' 2" and 15 st and ride regularly to work on a Dawes Discovery and just thought I would have a change, so any thoughts.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
SCR4 is a compact double, SCR3 is a compact tripple(IIRC). Got carbon forks on SCR3 which means slightly less weight compared to SCR4. But the shifters are still the same on both of them, they have that silly tab on the side instead of the paddle like on Tiarga upward models.
I have the SCR4 and i'm fine with it. I've only run out of gears going up hill a few times, but i often grind up hills. Steel forks arent bad but make it heavier, but they could be upgraded later, but will probably cost more to do. Shifters could do with an upgrade so you can change both ways whilst on the drops.
If you can afford the SCR3 then go for it.
Tyres will be another thing you might want to change. Some people say they puncture alot(never had a puncture on them though) and i found the seat on the SCR4 uncomfy on long rides. But the one which comes with might do you.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe24 said:
If you can afford the SCR3 then go for it.
Joe's pretty much summed it up - the only thing I'd add is that carbon forks also take a fair bit of road vibration out of the ride - they're a good upgrade.

Re: the shifters, do try Sora type to make sure you can get on with them - the groupsets that allow gear changes from the drops are 9 and 10 speed (currently) so an upgrade there means changing the entire drivetrain of your bike (as Sora is 8 speed). Not cheap. Also, the shifters gears etc on the SCR3 are slightly better (Sora group, the SCR4 has 2200 equipment, a level below)

I disagree with Joe on the tyres that come as standard - I thought they were bloody awful - lots of punctures, and the rear began to separate from its wire bead after about 300 or so miles. Personally, I'd budget £30-40 to replace them with something better.

I agree about the saddle - too wide and cushy for my taste, but it's certainly serviceable in the short term. I eventually replaced mine with a Fiz:ik Arione, which I'm much happier with.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
John the Monkey said:
Joe's pretty much summed it up - the only thing I'd add is that carbon forks also take a fair bit of road vibration out of the ride - they're a good upgrade.

Re: the shifters, do try Sora type to make sure you can get on with them - the groupsets that allow gear changes from the drops are 9 and 10 speed (currently) so an upgrade there means changing the entire drivetrain of your bike (as Sora is 8 speed). Not cheap. Also, the shifters gears etc on the SCR3 are slightly better (Sora group, the SCR4 has 2200 equipment, a level below)

I disagree with Joe on the tyres that come as standard - I thought they were bloody awful - lots of punctures, and the rear began to separate from its wire bead after about 300 or so miles. Personally, I'd budget £30-40 to replace them with something better.

I agree about the saddle - too wide and cushy for my taste, but it's certainly serviceable in the short term. I eventually replaced mine with a Fiz:ik Arione, which I'm much happier with.
I reckon i got a good batch of them. They about 1800miles with no punctures. But did square off quick though, i think they should be displayed:laugh:. Could tell a big difference when i put Ultra Gatorskins on though. Much much better, and they arent too expensive.

Keith Oates

Janner
<Shifters could do with an upgrade so you can change both ways whilst on the drops.>

I hear this from many people but for me, unless I'm actually in a race, I don't find it a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Joe24 said:
Could tell a big difference when i put Ultra Gatorskins on though. Much much better, and they arent too expensive.

I like the 'gators too (I've a set on the DA22 rims now). I don't trust them in the wet though - I've felt the back going out from under a few times.

Keith, I reckon it's worth mentioning, nonetheless so people can at least try them to see whether they get on with them. I spend most of my rides on the drops, and I knew I wouldn't get on with Sora type shifters. Looking at the miles (and speeds) you and Joe put in (to mention two owners of this kind of groupset) it's obviously no great hindrance though!

OP
OP
G

Graham1

Thanks
for the input, I have been looking at the All Terrain Cycles web site and with their
interest
free
finance
I could afford an SCR2 which would give me the
Tiagra
gears and shifters. Anybody have experience of buying a bike from them, how does it arrive? how much do you have to do to put the bike together? The price is the same as my LBS but with better finance terms.

paul

Giant SCR 3 works well for me. Agree with 'John the Monkey' had rear tyre problem within 300 miles, separating from bead, changed and upgraded both tyres, no problem since, over 1,000 miles covered. The handling works fine for me as a road bike for commutes and weekend rides/races, alternating riding with my mountain bike. I did test trial out the SCR 3 from LBS first, before buying. I recommend a test trial run with your LBS.

roadiewill

I have an SCR3 and I love it... sure it would be a tad more useful to ahve tiagra shifters but atm its all good. I also changed the tyres to a thinner 23

robg

Graham, I know this won't help you but I have just picked up my new SCR4 (first road bike) and it is awesome! I was amazed how quickly I have got used to the Sora gears and I actually like having less gears but I guess that is a personal thing. A friend has the SCR2 and has replaced the tires with some kevlar jobs which I might do but I haven't a puncture yet so we shall see...

Meanwhile, to that road-biker who never used to say good morning to me when I commuted on my MTB but was all politeness itself yesterday - get used to being burnt on that uphill stretch boyo!

OP
OP
G

Graham1

robg said:
Graham, I know this won't help you but I have just picked up my new SCR4 (first road bike) and it is awesome! I was amazed how quickly I have got used to the Sora gears and I actually like having less gears but I guess that is a personal thing. A friend has the SCR2 and has replaced the tires with some kevlar jobs which I might do but I haven't a puncture yet so we shall see...

Meanwhile, to that road-biker who never used to say good morning to me when I commuted on my MTB but was all politeness itself yesterday - get used to being burnt on that uphill stretch boyo!
Haven't had a chance to get into LBS yet but with all the info I think I will be buying the SCR 4, as it will just be used for riding round the lanes weekends, so I don't really want to spend too much.

Top Bottom