Giant SCR mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi,

I'm thinking about getting a Giant SCR 1.5. Does anyone who has one (or a SCR 1, 2, 3 or 4) know how much clearance there is for mudguards. The bike comes with 700x26 tyres so I guess these will fit with mudguards. Will 28mm tyres also fit with mudguards?

Cheers

woohoo

Veteran
The standard set-up (700x26) is fine with mudguards. Don't know about 700x28 tyres.

mondobongo

Über Member
There is a review of the SCR 1.5 on the other place they seem to think that mudguard clearnaces would be quite tight I am assuming with the 26mm that Giant spec at manufacture.
28 might be tight have a word with your lbs you cant be the only person with an SCR who wants to do this.

I run mine with 23mm so should be fine If I dont sort a winter bike out before they start gritting.

woohoo

Veteran
I know a couple of people with (700x26) SCR2s that have mudguards fitted ("proper" ones that are mounted to the frame at the brake bolts as well as the eyelets) and they have no problems. The extra clearance is why the SCRs have long reach brake callipers.

I reckon some 28's would fit - remember that some tyres are more 'svelte' than others, I've had 25mm spesh armadillos wider than some 28's I've used.

Young Un

i have a 2007 scr2 and it came with full mudguards - the ones where they are bolted on behind the brake.

i took them off pretty sharpish but i did ride it for a bit with them and there were no clearance issues at all on 700x26 kendas but surely you can buy mudguards the correct width for the tyre so fitting 28's wouldnt matter anyway - or is the clearance for wider mudguards you are asking about??

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for all that. And to answer the last Q; There is definiely not enough room for wider mudguards so standard narrow ones are the main option that can be used with up to 28mm tyres but only if there is enough room between wheel (tyre) and frame (and brake caliper) which brings us back to the original Q.

Young Un

well my scr2 can have mudgaurds fitted with 26c tyres and i assume that 28c tyres are just wider. so yes you can fit mudguards on a scr and yes you can fit 28c tyres if they fit in the mudguard - if u want tomorrow i can measure the width of my guards and report back to, which would let you know if you could fit 28c tyres and mudguards

HTH (or am i still not answering the original question??) - sorry if im not

Top Bottom