Giant spiders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Great thread this, you learn something new every day on this forum :smile:

We have loads of these living in the walls of our house, there's even a huge one living in the bathroom window.

SEGESTRIA-FLORENTINA.JPG

If you tickle their web with a piece of grass, they leap out and grab it and their strength is amazing for something so relatively small.
I tried to find out what these spiders were a couple of Years back but couldn't find any info at all.
Now I've learned they're a foreign species called Segestria florentina.

I'm still petrified of the things though.........:laugh:

yenrod

Fantastic to read before bed !

peanut

I am terrified of them. 4x years ago one ran across my foot and I flinched so hard it threw my back out . I went into spasm and I couldn't stand up for 4 weeks :sad:

Mymum and sister found one in my bedroom once . Apparently a sideplate would not have covered its legs !:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

I have sealed my house up so tight that even earwigs can't get in. seriously:biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Panter said:
Great thread this, you learn something new every day on this forum :sad:

We have loads of these living in the walls of our house, there's even a huge one living in the bathroom window.

SEGESTRIA-FLORENTINA.JPG

If you tickle their web with a piece of grass, they leap out and grab it and their strength is amazing for something so relatively small.
I tried to find out what these spiders were a couple of Years back but couldn't find any info at all.
Now I've learned they're a foreign species called Segestria florentina.

I'm still petrified of the things though.........:ohmy:

I watched that bit on the tellie, and my daughter - absolutely terrified of spiders was getting worried. I pointed out that it was in London. Even as I had that thought ... I suddenly remembered I live in a port town and yes they mentioned the West Country. Thats when I realised they were the things that live in the holes in our concrete fence posts for a number of years. I must try that thing with the grass though.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Somebody mentioned spider poo....interestingly spiders do poo, a lot, especially when they are eating lots of flies. The LRS that lives in our Landy poos all over the windows and dashboard; it looks like little yellowish blobs of hard stuff.

OP
OP
Morrisette

Morrisette

Nice to know that everywhere is overun with spiders :ohmy:. Anyway I tried to get the picture off my phone but nothing doing (I've lost the software cd). It was rubbish anyway, nothing like those, erm, really great spider pictures :sad:

And I know they eat flies and stuff but if they could just do that where I can't see them. And stay out of the bedroom altogether. And the bath. Get off the shower curtain! And stop lurking around on the fireplace. And for God's sake don't go in my shoes!!!! Also if they could be small enough to fit in a pint glass for easy removal, that'd be good too. Thanks :smile:

Mr Phoebus

So where were the spiders?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I murdered a big spider a couple of years ago - felt terrible and still do. I was up a ladder spraying Thompson's Waterseal on my chimney when out scurried one very upset fat-bodied beauty, clearly in a state of agitation at the soaking she'd just received. She slithered down the wet roof and just saved herself with a last-second web, then hung off the gutter above a 30' drop. She looked desperate, she was soked in kerosine and trying to climb back up the web so..... to put her out of her misery I broke the web. I watched from above as she accelerated towards the ground, which she hit with a soft plop.

I believe they explode if they hit the ground.

U

User482

wafflycat said:
One of these?

tarantula2.jpg

I saw a whole field of those once. It may have had something to do with the large quantity of mushrooms that I had ingested...

Top Bottom