Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 overkill for first road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kamil1308

Hi guys,

Looking for your opinion do you think giant tcr advanced pro 1 would be an overkill for my first road bike? I have found someone selling one online for nearly half the price of a new one 1800 new is 3400. Do you think I should go for something cheaper?

TIA

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
If it's your size and you can afford it go for it.

vickster

Legendary Member
What cheaper alternatives have you considered /test ridden?
The issue with buying any used bike is the lack of warranty as these aren’t transferable. So be sure to check it over thoroughly, especially the carbon frameset

stalagmike

Enormous member
If you have never owned a road bike before and never done road riding as a hobby then personally I wouldn't spend so much. Yes, you could probably recoup most of the outlay by selling it on if it turned out you hated road riding, but why take the risk? I'd spend max of 500 and then upgrade later on if you get the bug. You'll know better by then what sort of riding you like and what kind of bike you might want.

What's the full spec? would presume Ultegra(or SRAM Campag equivalent) at that price.

As mentioned above make sure it fits and all is kosher;if you have the cash go for it.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi guys,

Looking for your opinion do you think giant tcr advanced pro 1 would be an overkill for my first road bike? I have found someone selling one online for nearly half the price of a new one 1800 new is 3400. Do you think I should go for something cheaper?

TIA

There's some pretty hardcore geometry on that. Could well be way too aggressive for someone new to road cycling.

For £1800 (or less) you could get a nice adventure road bike/gravel bike with disc brakes albeit you'll probably dip out on the carbon frame which is neither here nor there imo.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Make sure you inspect it thoroughly being a full carbon.

davidphilips

Veteran
As RoadRider 400 as said inspect it thoroughly and if you are not really sure about tcrs or carbon bikes take some one with you that is.
£1800 is a lot of money to most of us, very few buyers may be able to have that amount of cash so the good news is bike no mater how good, may not sell very quick, i was told by a bike dealer he could sell 100 used bikes at £50 quicker than he could sell one used bike at £1000 so be ready to walk away rather than cycle away, just remember the motto buy in haste and repent for months if not years.
Good luck and want to see the sales receipt if seller can not provide one, even if it is his bike it may be older than he says any doupt at that sort of money and i would not buy.

Last edited:

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Are you in the UK? A quick google suggests the new price is nearer £2k if it is the 2018 model.

I recently bought a £200 2008 Giant carbon TCR C3 bike and am very pleased with it so I can recommend the brand. My bike has had a few changes by the previous owner (better wheels, lower spec brakes) and I think it was a bargain, but it does show how much cheaper an older bike can be. If money is no object, and you think you will use it, I would go take a look, but there are plenty of good value bikes out there, both new and used.

Also, do an image search on google to make sure which year the bike is. Giant have an archive you can search too:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/search/bike-archive

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hi guys,

TIA
https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/gian...MIqd7SlKDn4wIVAbDtCh3TbwdEEAQYAiABEgKzqfD_BwE If this is it. second hand i would not pay anymore tham £1000.00 for it. But saying that i would not buy a Giant.

Top Bottom