Giant TCR

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

R600

Über Member
i'm 6 foot tall and ride 58-60 cm frames normally. i want to make a tt bike from a TCR and wondered if any one has done so and would they recomend useing a medium frame as i think for normal cycling i would need a large frame. TIA

WychwoodTrev

i'm 6 foot tall and ride 58-60 cm frames normally. i want to make a tt bike from a TCR and wondered if any one has done so and would they recomend useing a medium frame as i think for normal cycling i would need a large frame. TIA

I will be watching this thread with interest as I have just got a Giant TCR 58cm as I am 6ft.1in which I will be using and converting for TTs

There are a couple on Ebay set up for TTs so some use them

Good luck and great choice in bike :biggrin:

festival

Über Member
The tcr is available in a medium/large, at 54 cm, suitable for up to 6'.

Remember you are dealing with compact frame design here and how athletic are you? are you looking to assume a genuine areodynamic tt position?

A true tt bike has a lower front and longer top tube with a steeper seat angle to create an aggressive postion.

Which model tcr?

festival

Über Member
I will be watching this thread with interest as I have just got a Giant TCR 58cm as I am 6ft.1in which I will be using and converting for TTs

There are a couple on Ebay set up for TTs so some use them

Good luck and great choice in bike :biggrin:

Yes a great bike.

The xl size measures 58.5 seat tube, compact design. This size is for those 6'3 and above. If this is what you have, assuming you are of normal build it would be too big for you as a rule.

OP
OP
R600

R600

Über Member
when i say that i normaly use a 58cm frame that would be the traditional horizontal top tube. if i were to get a TCR for normal use i would get either a m/l or a large. what i'm wondering is has anyone tried going down to a medium to make a TT bike. i don't think i would get away with a medium for everyday use but would be able to get a good aero position on it.

WychwoodTrev

when i say that i normaly use a 58cm frame that would be the traditional horizontal top tube. if i were to get a TCR for normal use i would get either a m/l or a large. what i'm wondering is has anyone tried going down to a medium to make a TT bike. i don't think i would get away with a medium for everyday use but would be able to get a good aero position on it.

I beleave the M/L frame will be good for you for TTs
I will be using mine for every thing Training,Sportives and TTs
My problem is I have a long body and the 58cm frame seems to fit me nice giving me a bit of room to get the best aero possition I can for a great big git that I am

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'm 5' 9" longer backed and shorter legged and ride a medium TCR for everyday riding.
I think you'll be OK.
Remember that you're more pitched forward over the bottom bracket on a tt bike to achieve a flatter back, you may need to increase the stem length a little (which offers the advantage of greater stability in the tuck.
The front end of older TCR's is already pretty low!

festival

Über Member
If you are buying a 2011 model they have compact chainset 50/34, not suitable for tt's.

With 25 or 28 lowest at the rear. not sure about last years models.

great bike & will do what u want, but will need a lot of adapting for tt's. If its only for tt's, have you considered the giant trinity tt specific, its highly rated and only £1500 new.

Will1985

Über Member
If you are buying a 2011 model they have compact chainset 50/34, not suitable for tt's.
The 34 may not be suitable, but there is nothing wrong with a compact for time trialling - it is becoming far more common on bike specs as more are sold to triathletes who actually might need compacts on sporting courses, especially for longer events. Swap the 34 for a 38 and it will be fine.

FWIW, I've done a 21:44 on 50x14 fixed, and there is a local chap who knocks out long 20s on 48x13. On gears I'm using a 53 but rarely drop into 11 or 12 unless there is a huge tailwind. Testing is not a pissing contest about who has the biggest chainring.

Will1985

Über Member
I mentioned triathetes because they are the biggest market audience for TT bikes across the world. Manufacturers don't care about the niche UK TT market - there is much bigger money to be made flogging bikes to multisporters, so it makes sense to spec the bikes to what they need.

Fair point about the times, but I still maintain that a compact with a suitable inner chainring is not a disadvantage over a standard double.

Top Bottom