Giant Terrago rear derailleur(deore) slap on chainstay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rip Van

Veteran
My son's bike's rear derailleur has, since new, been swinging up and hitting the chainstay. I've finally decided to do something about it (too late to go back to LBS) as he's using it more now. I had fixed rubber pads to the contact point but these were trashed by the action after a short time. I've looked on t'internet but couldn't find any real solutions.
Has anyone else on here experienced this problem.

Broadside

Guru
Have you got any photos to show how close it is to the chain stay?

OP
OP
Rip Van

Rip Van

Veteran
Have you got any photos to show how close it is to the chain stay?

Not at the moment. There isn't any resistance to it swinging up when you hit rough ground. Have you had this problem? It seems quite common but the solutions seem to be about protecting the chainstay or replacing the mech rather than rectifying.
It doesn't appear to be too close to the chainstay for normal operation.

Broadside

Guru
No I haven't had the problem but I did wonder if the chain might be a bit long allowing the derraileur more travel that it needs. I also can't visualise how the mech can swing up in to the chain stay?

OP
OP
Rip Van

Rip Van

Veteran
No I haven't had the problem but I did wonder if the chain might be a bit long allowing the derraileur more travel that it needs. I also can't visualise how the mech can swing up in to the chain stay?

Chain length's seems fine. It happens in all gears. I'll check this though, then make it as short as it'll stand and see what happens. He's out on it at the mo' but I might get a chance to do it this evening.<br><br>Thanks for your input.<br>

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I've recently bought one and have noticed the same thing, if I go over a bump you can hear it bang off the frame, it had me puzzled at first cause it's a hardtail, I was going to put some rubber on the frame, but let us know if shorting the chain makes any difference?

OP
OP
Rip Van

Rip Van

Veteran
I've recently bought one and have noticed the same thing, if I go over a bump you can hear it bang off the frame, it had me puzzled at first cause it's a hardtail, I was going to put some rubber on the frame, but let us know if shorting the chain makes any difference?

Chain length is correct. It DOESN'T happen in in all gears. It starts in 4th or 5th depending on which chainring you're in. The larger sprockets keep the jockey wheel lower and therefore the derailleur body.
The cause might actually be a combination of the shape of the chainstays, as they are shaped downwards, as well as the derailleur.
I'm going to try to contact Giant to see what they have to say about it.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
It's my first mtb with hydroulic brakes, on the top of the handle bars next to the brake levers both sides are like view finders split into 3 segments with a red plastic tab inside, what's it's purpose? I'm sorry if it's an obvious question I just can't seem to figure it's purpose, I had no documentation with the bike.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I presume it's to do with the gearing as it has deore on it.

Broadside

Guru
The red tabs move and indicate which gear you're in. The display on the left is for the front gear selector. The display on the right is for the rear.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
I've only had it a day and I forgot to check them when I was changing gear on the way back from work, I thought this cause of it being a triple chainset and being divided into 3 segments, but the right one is also divided into 3 segments and being a 9 speed I thought I must be wrong but thanks for clearing that up fir me.

Top Bottom