Giant XTC SX mtb (2006) - how much should a fair conditioned one cost?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dac

Hi,
I’m looking for a bike to cycle to 2 miles each way on a straight flat road.
Clearly, I’m thinking of a hybrid for comfort and being a big guy too a road is probably a no go.
However, I’ve seen a Giant XTC SX mtb in fair condition and although I don’t need shocks it seems a lot of bike for the money.
Just wondering what are your thoughts on the bike and how much do you think a reasonable price for one is these days, considering it’s a 2006 model bike (I think) being grey in colour with black text on the frame?
Very similar, if not the same, to this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/giant-xt...450673?hash=item468031aff1:g:CVoAAOSw8mpbJnkN
Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dac

Anyone please?

Another question, is the bike still worth buying or is the 2006 technology used on this Giant XTC SX bike too old and not worth purchasing now days, again it comes down to what is a reasonably conditioned Giant XTC SX bike worth these days?
Thanks.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not buy a newer bike that is suited for your needs? For £300 odd you can get a brand new Carrera Subway from Halfords. Perfect commuter for all weathers for a heavier rider. No problem getting one used either if money is tight.
Or for £100 max you can probably get an old school rigid MTB

£250 minimum sounds a lot for a 10+ year old mountain bike with 10 year old tech

Are you only going to be using for the commute? So about 10 mins each way? Could ride anything to be honest. Or walk!

Jody

Stubborn git
About £150ish. The one linked doesn't look too bad and has upgraded bits on it (wheels and brakes)

Wether its worth it or not depends on its inteded use and what condition the bike is. Brakes/suspension have moved on a long way in the last decade but the rest of the bike should perform as its intended.

vickster

Legendary Member
About £150ish. The one linked doesn't look too bad and has upgraded bits on it (wheels and brakes)

Wether its worth it or not depends on its inteded use and what condition the bike is. Brakes/suspension have moved on a long way in the last decade but the rest of the bike should perform as its intended.
So £250 start price would appear rather ambitious!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Remember its maybe twelve years old so you need to check it for wear and tear. Usual things, wheels run true, spokes tight, chainring wear, headset wear, bb wear, tyres etc. If its not too much money and taking into account what needs replacing make an offer. 2006 technology will still work today!
If you don't know what to look for get someone who does to help.
Alternatively if you don't know much about bikes try to buy one that hasn't had much use. There are plenty out there bought on a whim and then put away, or buy new as suggested.

@vickster I don't think he's saying the one on eBay is the one he's seen, just similar, if I read his post correctly.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
We don't know the spec of the bike he is looking at. The brakes alone on the linked bike are £100. Wheels would have been another £150+.
Fair do. How much is the one of interest? And spec? And condition?

OP
OP
D

dac

Thanks for your replies. They really do help.

Here is the actual bike:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/bicycles/men-s-giant-xtc-sx-mountain-bike/1305638873

It will be to cycle 2 miles each way. I did have a shocks mtb before which I found was too heavy for the 9 miles I was cycling each way. I sold it due to its heaviness. With this distance I feel a shocks mtb may be ok.
What you do reckon? Worth it?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks OK and a fsir price but you still need to do the checks but if the seller is correct and its had only had light use it shouldn't need too much doing to it.
If you buy it run it down to your local bike shop and ask them to service it.

Don't forget to budget for a good strong lock.

Is it the correct size for you? You can check by looking at the Giant mtb size guide on somewhere like Evans site

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Looks like a good bike for £120. Chip him to £90-100 and you have a bargain!

OP
OP
D

dac

The problem is I won't be able to tell if the bike is in good condition and not requiring any replacements. I will simply look at the bike and if there are no big scrapes, dents, or bent bits then I expect it will be okay. I haven't a clue how to spot if wheels run true or not or if there is great wear on the bike. I'm hoping the photos show this up.

Is £90 a bargain then? I could try my luck. If I found I didn't get on with it what do you think the bike is worth online (£150 or..?)
Apparently it is a size 21". He measured it from where the seat post goes into the bike to the bottom of that stem (I guess to the bottom where the pedals are). Is there any way to test the bike without riding it as it currently has a rear wheel puncture?
Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
21" is a large frame in MTB sizing. I thought he said he would mend the puncture for the asking price?
If you don't know how to check it you'll have to take a punt. Likelihood is it'll be okay with nothing major but as I said run down to your LBS to check and service it. You don't want the brakes at least to be sub standard.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get the puncture fixed. Offer to do it with him if he’s not able. That said if he can’t, it’s unlikely he’s done any maintenance. What servicing has it had?

Top Bottom