Girl cycling to school this morning killed, Abingdon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
alecstilleyedye said:
that is a very good idea.

I think it should go further. Future car and motorbike users should both pass this and have a period of cycle use on the roads (disability permitting) before being allowed to apply for a car/bike test. Not that it would ever get off the ground as it would be difficult to make people comply. It makes sense though.
To be fair, even my son who has a Bikeability level 2 badge is not ready to go out on his own. Is a car or bike rider ready just because they have passed a half-hour test? Testing of proficiency doesn't go far enough IMO.

Origamist

Legendary Member
ChrisKH said:
I think it should go further. Future car and motorbike users should both pass this and have a period of cycle use on the roads (disability permitting) before being allowed to apply for a car/bike test. Not that it would ever get off the ground as it would be difficult to make people comply. It makes sense though.
To be fair, even my son who has a Bikeability level 2 badge is not ready to go out on his own. Is a car or bike rider ready just because they have passed a half-hour test? Testing of proficiency doesn't go far enough IMO.

This is being proposed as well by the CTC:

"We believe that providing more level 3 training to teenagers would contribute significantly to some of the suggested pre-driver training outcomes outlined in chapter 8 of the consultation. Anecdotal evidence from police forces, driving instructors and others suggests that cycle trainees turn out to be better drivers, and pass their driving tests more easily.

We also know that drivers who cycle have a much better understanding than non-cyclists of what constitutes safe and responsible cycling, and, by extension, driving. Further research into the safety impacts of cycle training would therefore help identify its potential contribution to both cyclist and driver safety, and hence its possible role in either driver or pre-driver training programmes. "

domtyler

Über Member
Some nice ideas about forcing drivers to cycle first, it may have an impact I guess but I keep thinking of Black Cab drivers who have to do the knowledge on those little mopeds and then become the most rude, dangerous, aggressive, anti-two-wheeler-brigade morons on the road.

LOGAN 5

domtyler said:
Some nice ideas about forcing drivers to cycle first, it may have an impact I guess but I keep thinking of Black Cab drivers who have to do the knowledge on those little mopeds and then become the most rude, dangerous, aggressive, anti-two-wheeler-brigade morons on the road.

+1

Something must happen to cab drivers between passing their Knowledge test, ditching the moped and stepping behind the wheel for the first time with a licence to intimidate and harass.

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
There is many more and practical ways of raising awareness other then forcing people to do a cp or similar before learning to drive.

Would you list the many other practical ways?

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
???;) wow, you ignorant tw*t, that's funny that is bearing in mind all the links to articles you have posted about awareness of cyclists.

Calm down. I asked you to supply the other practical ways of improving the lot of cyclists on the roads - you said there were many practical ways. I was hoping you were going to help the debate by listing them!

User3143 said:
Ask Magna, he knows more about this then me considering his involvement with the press up north.

Bearing in mind that all learners are not 17-18 years of age. Some are in thier late 50's, learning to drive after their husband has died and it's their means of getting mobile.

Can you imagine an almost OAP doing a cp?

No don't ask me!

Actually I am in favour of a scheme where new drivers need to do a cycle training course (and pass). I've discussed this before. Your attitude towards it is very defeatist. It'll be too hard.....

It could work, with provisos for people with medical conditions etc.

Politically it might not be as bad a move as you think. Think of it as a way of improving cycling/driving skills, tackling obesity, tackling global warming etc. Suddenly it looks like it could be a goer. This is the sort of thing, that if it were a devolved issue, I could see the Scottish government bringing in. It has been much bolder than the UK government over the last few years. Unfortunately it isn't devolved which would make it tougher, but not impossible.

You like looking for problems don't you! ;)

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Yeah, and I thought I was helping you in saying to ask Magna because of his involvement with the media up in Scotland and his more 'hands on' with awareness and what to do.

Lee, I know Magna is a media tart, but he's not commissioning public information films about road safety etc. As I said, I thought you were going to offer alternatives to cycling training for drivers as that's what your post suggested ("many more and practical ways of raising awareness"). The problem with many media campaigns is that they come and go - embedding awreness of cyclists and pedestrians in driver training does not have this disadvantage.

Origamist

Legendary Member
User3143 said:
Are you sure? Because I think many people will look at a cp as something they simply had to do, to progress to learning to drive.

Rather then something that is of an importance and will have an effect.

This is why the CTC has said more research needs to be done to see how raising awareness of cyclists can be integrated with driver training.

User3143 said:
Are you sure? Because I think many people will look at a cp as something they simply had to do, to progress to learning to drive.

Rather then something that is of an importance and will have an effect.

But it doesn't matter what people think of the training. What matters is that they will have done it. If at the same time someone mentions why cyclists don't always gutter cycle, why they need room etc, then at least some will remember this when they come across cyclists when they drive. Also by showing people how easy it actually is to cycle and how they can cycle more than 500m, there is the chance that the numbers cycling would increase and safety as a result would improve.

Carwash

Señor Member
I think that a lot of drivers and motorcyclists on the roads around here must have taken cycling proficiency as a prelude to their motoring lessons - so many of them seem to forget that they're not on the bike any more, and pull up over the ASL.

:biggrin:

User3143 said:
You trying tellin that to one of my best mates he uses his car for everything! When I go round to his house to see if he is in on the off chance, I only have to look if his car is there or not.

Of course not everyone is your mate :biggrin:

Top Bottom