girls' football

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
alecetc jr I is going to join macclesfield town fc (ladies) as an under 10. anybody on here got any experience of girls' football and advice/warnings to pass on?

seems so unfair that the girls can just join, train and play, but us poor lads need to be referred by a qualified coach or have been released from an fa academy just to get a trial. ;)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Why is it that it's generally OK for girls/women to do male stuff (e.g. wear trousers, play footy, join cubs) but most fellas don't want to do the other stuff (wear a skirt, play netball, join brownies)?
Maybe a facetious point, but the cubs thing is a real question.... one of my girls joined cubs, and there were so many girls there that I felt really sorry for the boys, as they didn't get a look-in. I strongly feel that boys need an opportunity to do boys' stuff in a male environment with good solid male role models, without having to 'relax' the definition of what male interests usually are (e.g. to include 'leaf tapestries', which I don't think most of the boys really enjoyed).
I'm not saying we shouldn't be inclusive, not let girls play footy, train them for the kitchen sink etc, but let's also let boys be boys. ;)

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Fnaar said:
Why is it that it's generally OK for girls/women to do male stuff (e.g. wear trousers, play footy, join cubs) but most fellas don't want to do the other stuff (wear a skirt, play netball, join brownies)?
Maybe a facetious point, but the cubs thing is a real question.... one of my girls joined cubs, and there were so many girls there that I felt really sorry for the boys, as they didn't get a look-in. I strongly feel that boys need an opportunity to do boys' stuff in a male environment with good solid male role models, without having to 'relax' the definition of what male interests usually are (e.g. to include 'leaf tapestries', which I don't think most of the boys really enjoyed).
I'm not saying we shouldn't be inclusive, not let girls play footy, train them for the kitchen sink etc, but let's also let boys be boys. ;)

the main reason alecetc jr I wanted to play with girls was that the boys would not pass the ball to her at the football academy she went to on saturday mornings. has been the player of the week the last two weeks but barely gets a kick when she's the only girl.

shame alecetc jr II (5) who also goes, looks like he's inherited his dad's football skill. so it looks like it'll be ladies football on a saturday for me, unless alecetc jr III (1) takes after his big sis.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
Fnaar said:
I'm not saying we shouldn't be inclusive, not let girls play footy, train them for the kitchen sink etc, but let's also let boys be boys. :smile:
I know a few pubs you might like to visit, Fnaar...:tongue:

simoncc

alecstilleyedye said:
alecetc jr I is going to join macclesfield town fc (ladies) as an under 10. anybody on here got any experience of girls' football and advice/warnings to pass on?

seems so unfair that the girls can just join, train and play, but us poor lads need to be referred by a qualified coach or have been released from an fa academy just to get a trial. :angry:

It's not unfair really. The club takes on boys with a view to making professional footballers out of them, and will discard any boy who doesn't come up to scratch. The club will pay good money to paid staff to select and nuture the best boys. The club takes on girls as a social service, most probably with some form of subsidy or under some council or government scheme designed to bring equality, reduce child obesity or some other worthy aim. The club has no interest in the girls as future players and can therefore afford to take on girls of all abilities.

Keith Oates

Janner
I watched a match on the TV the other night between the USA and Finland ladies teams. It was amazing, players were tackling each other and then getting up without rolling around in agony, they din't know how to 'dive' when another player was running close to them, they forgot to challenge the ref on every decision he made and many other things that are so important to the mens game. To sum it up it was a pleasure to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I used to play "middle-aged men's" footy on public pitches a few years back... there was a young women's team who practised on the next pitch...they had proper kit and everything so might've been a pro or semi-pro team. Apart from being most distracting (my excuse when in goal), they were bl00dy good, and could have knocked the socks off us old gits easily!

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Fnaar said:
I used to play "middle-aged men's" footy on public pitches a few years back... there was a young women's team who practised on the next pitch...they had proper kit and everything so might've been a pro or semi-pro team. Apart from being most distracting (my excuse when in goal), they were bl00dy good, and could have knocked the socks off us old gits easily!

you should be so lucky!

Top Bottom