Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
I remember Froome attacking from quite a way out in the TdF a couple of years ago with that famous descent

Yeah, fair comment. Although my recollection is that it was an attack my accident.............and that it wasn't from an awful long way out. Anyway, never mind all that. Today is Time Trial day. What's Dumoulin got? Has Yates improved? Can he finish within two minutes of Dumoulin? I'm going to stick my neck out and say the gap will be around a minute. Here's hoping.........

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
I'm having a wander by the finish line in Rovereto(severely hungover !) Forecast light rain all day so should be good ? It's a pretty flat course so might be difficult to get any big time gaps ?

MikeG

Guru
........It's a pretty flat course so might be difficult to get any big time gaps ?

Just a simple back-of-the-envelope calculation should illustrate the issue. It's a 21 mile course. If one rider averages 30mph, and another one 31, the first rider will do the course in 42 minutes, and the second in 40 minutes 38 seconds. So 1 mph difference produces a gap of 1 minute 22 seconds.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Nice road surface in the wet !
IMG_20180522_095035914.jpg

biking_fox

Guru
Just a simple back-of-the-envelope calculation should illustrate the issue. It's a 21 mile course. If one rider averages 30mph, and another one 31, the first rider will do the course in 42 minutes, and the second in 40 minutes 38 seconds. So 1 mph difference produces a gap of 1 minute 22 seconds.

Apparently there's a tailwind, so it gets much harder to get that 1mph gap because everyone is already doing 35.

Would make the rest of the week more exciting if D can get ahead by a little.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm liking the mahoosive Palestinian flags at the start. A protest against the Jerusalem start?

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Anyone know how Yates is at TT'ing? (comparative to Froome).

I don't think any of us can say for sure how good Yates will be in a 34km TT after two weeks of hard GT racing when he is defending the leader's jersey. It's the very definition of unknown territory for him.

For a one-off race like the Worlds, you'd be rash to bet against Dumoulin beating Yates by anything less than two minutes, but again it's hard to say how he will perform given how tough the race has been so far. He's been digging deep just to keep Yates within touching distance. Will that affect his performance today?

You've also got other influencing factors like Yates setting off after Dumoulin, so he'll be getting regular updates from the team on what he needs to do - will that motivate him to pull an extra 10% out of his reserves?

I wouldn't bet against Yates doing The Time Trial Of His Life today and losing less than a minute to Dumoulin. On the other hand, he could fall to pieces and lose three minutes. Who knows?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Tony Martin and Jos Van Emden have both gone under 30 minutes. That's ridiculously quick.

Oops! Just realised I was looking at the times at the 2nd intermediate check. They're both just over 40 minutes at the finish line. That sounds much more realistic! ^_^

Martin sitting in the big chair at the moment...

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Ulissi has just put in a fantastic time to go into third place on the current standings, ahead of Dowsett. Didn't see that one coming!

Froome is on the start ramp...

Top Bottom