Giro 2018 "contains spoilers"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Bugger, a day out with my PTP flair pick!

On the plus side, it won't take you long to add up the scores for the punditry tonight.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Aye-has Doumoulin got the Shark in him...Yates is cooked in my view. Finestre is the place to put him under pressure then see how it pans out.
I hope you’re wrong but those exertions up the mountains earlier my be coming back to bite.

Especially as Yates has never been in this situation before.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I hope you’re wrong but those exertions up the mountains earlier my be coming back to bite.

Especially as Yates has never been in this situation before.
Maybe you're right and he's cooked. Or perhaps he's simply had a bad day, one bad day, and Dumoulin ate into his lead. If he's cooked then he's cooked. If he gets some form back, there's some interesting inclines ahead....

By not chasing in the last km today Yates has essentially given himself a second easyish day in a row letting Froome and Dumoulin waste a bit more energy then him before the next two harder days.

400bhp

Guru
By not chasing in the last km today Yates has essentially given himself a second easyish day in a row letting Froome and Dumoulin waste a bit more energy then him before the next two harder days.
You don’t tire from an exertion in the last km of a stage, you tire from the cumulatiom of the day and the previous days.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Only just watched todays stage,I wouldnt go so far as to say hes 'cooked' yet.Todays stage suited Dumoulin and Froome more.Maybe tactically he could have been a bit more savy ? Or maybe he thinks hes more suited to tommorow.I wouldnt write him off just yet..one things for sure Froome and co will sense weakness from Yates today and it's not over yet.Id be thinking tomorrow is all or nothing for a few of the GC contenders.Cant wait !

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
And I remember Zakarin heading off into a ditch - was that the same stage @smutchin ?

I believe it was. He was lucky not to be more seriously injured.

They were talking on the Cycling Podcast last night about how relative lack of experience is likely to play a big part for Yates today - Dumoulin and Froome know what they need to do, they've done it before, but this is new territory for Yates. Also Froome - like Nibali in 2016 - is in a position where he has nothing to lose, he's not interested in the lower steps of the podium, so he might as well go for broke. Nibali crucified everyone that day. Wonder if Froome can do something similar today?

Ciro Scognamiglio predicted on the podcast that Sky will put the hammer down in the valley road after the Sestriere descent and try to isolate Yates. That could be interesting. Whatever condition Yates himself is in, it was clear yesterday that most of his team-mates are paying the price for the work they've done in the first two weeks. He needs Nieve or Haig to stay with him to the final climb at the very least.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Dumoulin's options are limited today but I think the real danger comes from Pozzovivo. He looked very strong yesterday. If Sky stress the peloton and Pozzovivo climbs aboard, I can see Yates blowing.

Top Bottom